Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A question on insulin page

highaerials36 is offline Senior Member

A question on insulin

Shop Now
    Before I went primal, I had noticed that if I ate something carby (and that was a lot of the time), I could feel my body getting "hyper" and the up and down effect of eating carbs.

I've been primal for about 2 weeks, and it was my nephew's 6th birthday yesterday. They served burgers and chicken (grilled), potato chips and potato salad, coleslaw, and the obligatory birthday cake.

Truth be told, I ate the potato products (not letting them go yet), colewslaw, burgers (just the meat, to the surprise of everyone lol), and 2 huge slices of cake.

Whereas before I would feel the sugar high and then crash and nap, I really didn't feel different than before I ate dinner. I felt fine, sober, and content. Didn't feel sick in the slightest.

My question is: how did going Primal help with this? I'm still sort of new so this may be painfully obvious to some people here. Is this normal?
    Last edited by highaerials36; 11-18-2010 at 05:42 AM.

dfast is offline Member
    Funny, I am MORE sensitive to carbs now than I was before. I stick to sweet potatoes but that's all I can handle - bread practically knocks me out now. I know a lot of people here are the same - not sure why you've gone in the opposite direction!

erikJ is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, Give it a few more weeks and that cake will knock you on your ass. I had a margarita yesterday (just one I swear) with sweet and sour mix and I felt like i had just had a triple shot of espresso for like 4 and a half minutes, then felt swollen and tired. I think it takes time to fully switch the body over to a more insulin sensitive state. Probably different for different folks too.

StoneAgeQueen is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by erikJ View Post
    then felt swollen and tired..
    Sugar and grains make me feel swollen too.
    Type 1 diabetic for 25 years.
    Low carb for 7 years, LC Primal for 2.5 of those.
    Fruit and starch free.
    Total weight loss- 3 stone/42 pounds. Current weight = 121 pounds. Height 5'5
    I take Zymessence systemic enzymes.

Interesting replies. Do I want to become insulin resistant? I love the Primal lifestyle and I won't give it up, but for those "heres and theres," should I expect to see more insulin resistance as time goes on with me being primal?

NDF
    NDF is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by highaerials36 View Post
    Do I want to become insulin resistant?
    No, you don't want to be insulin resistant.

When eating low carb for an extended period of time (Primally or otherwise) , some can experience diet enduced insulin resistance.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    I think it's that it's only been two weeks.

Like dfast, if I eat a lot of dough (like pizza) it does have a knock out effect. Once I was working at a store (part of my job is to do resets at supermarkets from time to time) and during our break someone brought in Pizza (of course) and I had two slices and water, when we got back on the floor I felt so crappy. It was my most severe "carb attack" in a long time and I felt suuuper tired and groggy, it went away gladly but it was uncomfortable.

the problem is some people will take this experience of "carb crashes" to attack a Paleo/low carb/primal lifestyle saying something akin to "SEE they can't even handle carbs! this is dangerous!" rather than seeing that these substances are harmful in and of themselves and ingesting them causes these crashes. Constant consumption leads to tolerance (insulin resistance) and also an overall feeling of "this is just how I feel" (tired, groggy, low energy, etc) and they use stimulants such as coffee/etc to get them through the day.

Ahhhhhh, I see. Thank you, that makes a load of sense.

JenCat is offline Senior Member
    When I eat any sugar - any - I actually feel my head spin. It's quite unpleasant, actually.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JenCat View Post
    When I eat any sugar - any - I actually feel my head spin. It's quite unpleasant, actually.
    Me too. It really is unpleasant, I was thinking about trying Truvia as a sweetener but I don't mind my beverages sugarless at all and I'm not into baking or anything like that so I think I can live sugar free for a long while. Occasionally having desserts when the time calls for them. Even then I can't eat too much or it just makes me feel drained.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast