Thread: Cooking liver page

tarek is offline Senior Member

Cooking liver

Shop Now
    So, tonight is my first time making a dish with organ meat. Can these be eaten
    rare like muscle meat? The recipe I'm following has a very short cooking time, and I'm still seeing blood when I cut into the livers. I usually don't worry about blood in muscle meat, but is it different with liver and other organs?

Thanks! :]

peril is offline Senior Member
    Liver, especially calf's liver, is best served rare. It has a much juicier texture when rare. Enjoy
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

tarek is offline Senior Member
    I wish I had seen that post before I finished it. I made the mistake of researching this halfway into preparing the dish. At the advice of my friends, I cooked it well-done, and I literally could not swallow it. That was probably the most disgusting thing I've ever tasted.

Do you have any good recipes for liver, then? I don't want this to deter me from making it in the future. Thanks for your help!

peril is offline Senior Member
    Google "fegato veneziana"
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Jack Mac is offline Junior Member
    I eat a lot of liver
    - cut into strips or even smaller pieces
    - marinate for about 1-2 hrs - usually something acidic - citrus or vinegar, with spices - just google liver recipes
    - very quick stir fry - I like it rare
    - always cook with bacon, onions & mushrooms - usually stir fry in some other veggies too
    - I love liver, but my family not so much, so often I will add some beef to the stir fry, about 50-50, but sometimes it's as much as 80% beef.

breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    There was a long thread about liver cooking on here recently - have you tried the search facility?

Quick advice - cook quickly! In butter with sage is good - add cream for a sauce - add smoked paprika and caraway for a liver stroganoff sort of thing (very good...). But if it does over cook and get tough then it needs stock or wine and a good braise low and slow when it will become tender again but taste and texture change.

jem51 is offline Senior Member
    if you overcook it and just can't eat it, turn it into pate.
    i think barry groves gave me this idea; saute mushrooms then the liver pieces, stir in sour cream and just heat until desired temp. season to taste, or course.
    really good.