Thread: a question about beef page

Suse is offline Senior Member

a question about beef

Primal Fuel
    i want to know why it is that cooking ground (or minced as we call it in NZ) beef is so stinky.... I really really hate cooking minced meat, the smell is totally off putting. However, i have no problems cooking a nice steak. I dont have a problem eating the finished product - well as long as it's got lots of flavourings in it.

unchatenfrance is offline Senior Member
    I find that too with conventionally raised ground beef, but not with pasteured beef. I don't know what it is. I had been using grass-fed beef for a while but a few weeks ago I had to use the grocery store stuff and I thought I was going to vomit.

Bushrat is offline Senior Member
    I've found the same problem. Further, at I once tasted the grain through grain fed steak and nearly gagged. The old saying 'you are what you eat' is true of all other animals, not just humans. If you are going to be eating an animal that eats a diet that makes it fat and sick then expect it to show up in the smell and taste.

Katie82 is offline Senior Member
    It's the beef fat which conventional ground beef would have a lot more of than grass fed or steak. Beef fat is nasty smelling. When I was pregnant I couldn't even be in the same house with it cooking because I found it so repulsive. Now I've reigned in that reaction but it still makes me sick so I've learned to add all of my spices right with the raw meat and any finely chopped veggies I have. That way the smell of peppers, onions, chili spices, oregano, garlic, etc take over and it's very tolerable! HTH.

Suse is offline Senior Member
    all our meat in NZ is grass fed so I dont think thats an issue. I guess it is just the fat in it that stinks. I like your idea katie of adding the spices with the raw meat, I usually add it after I've browned off the meat.