Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Favourite way to cook spinach? page

Primal Babe is offline Senior Member

Favourite way to cook spinach?

Primal Fuel
    What's your favourite way to cook spinach? I'm having a nice grass fed steak for dinner, 1/2 of a carnival squash, and want to get in some greens... spinach is calling my name but don't think I wanna just "boil" it...

Any suggestions?

lizch is offline Senior Member
    I usually either put it raw on the plate and put hot stuff on top of it, or I add it to the saute pan at the last minute to wilt it. I don't like it very much once it's reached slimy stage, so if I cook it, it's very briefly.
    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

Andtckrtoo is offline Senior Member
    I saute in a pan with olive oil and garlic and serve when it's just wilted. YUM!!!
    Christine
    Wag more, bark less

lil_earthmomma is offline Senior Member
    Oh there are so many yummy ways!!!

Briefly saute in butter and minced garlic (I"m with lizch, don't let it get slimy take it out of the pan when soft and bright green)

Saute chopped bacon, then sliced mushrooms, then throw in onions and garlic, some grated cream cheese and a splash of white wine, and wilt in the spinach! (this is by far my favorite side dish of all time)

Creamed spinach (cream heated up, thickened with a couple of egg yolks) and then add in the spinach and salt and pepper and of course... garlic! lol

lcme is offline Senior Member
    I like it wilted in butter and spices. I find that you can eat a lot more of it that way.

Primal Babe is offline Senior Member
    Yum!!! I forgot to mention that I'm allergic to dairy, so I think I'll try the "wilting" with bacon grease & garlic tonight! Thanks!

Redflame is offline Senior Member
    We love wilted spinache salad, and I cannot believe I forgot about this

sautee bacon and onion, scoop the bacon out and put on top of a bowl of spinach with hard boiled egg slices, mushrooms if you want. IN the pan that you have hot with bacon grease you add a little bit of balsamic or apple cider vinegar, be careful of splatters, (you can add sweetner too, but I dont any longer) This is your dressing pour over the greens and toss lightly! Great with water chestnuts, apple slices, or radishes too
    Redflame
    Started PB Aug 9, 2010 then let 'stuff' get in the way
    Back to start and make a fantastic 2012
    Goal of Significant Weight Loss
    15 pounds down! with more to go!

Mog
    Mog is offline Senior Member
    These are great ideas. I usually oversteam it and can't get images out of my head of my parents boiling it to death when I was growing up.

Redflame - yum! I am going to try that tonight, sounds delicious.

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Andtckrtoo View Post
    I saute in a pan with olive oil and garlic and serve when it's just wilted. YUM!!!
    Exactly the same. Whole process takes just about five minutes. When it's mostly-wilted I turn off the heat and stir it a bit, then serve. Add parmesan and butter at this stage if you love dairy!

slacker is offline Senior Member
    Saute in bacon fat with stamp size bacon bits. Don't get the heat too high. Cover and it will generate its own moisture. My Dad would finish it with white sauce and 1/2 and 1/2 in it, which is how his mother made it. You could thicken the 1/2 and 1/2 with a tiny bit of coconut flour instead of wheat flour. Or, just reduce it on a slow simmer. Mmmmm... This was a traditional Thanksgiving dish at my house. I think I am going to make it this year.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast