Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Vaccinations for Infants page

maba is offline Senior Member

Vaccinations for Infants

Primal Fuel
    My 2 month old baby is due to get his first set of vaccinations tomorrow: Penatcel (for Polio, Diptheria, Tetanus & Pertussis and Hib) and Pravanor for Pneumacoccal Disease. I'd like to know if I need to take any precautions before he's given the shots. Also, where can I find unbiased information about these vaccines?

lizch is offline Senior Member
    I don't think there IS unbiased info...everyone has an angle!

My favorite book on the topic is The Vaccine Book written by Dr Sears. He's definitely from mainstream medicine, but he acknowledges why parents can be uncomfortable with the vast array of vaccines, and he suggests which ones are more important than others, and he includes alternative schedule info. His book is one of the few on the topic that doesn't sound judgmental one way or the other!
    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    If you are unsure atm or looking to learn more, you can always ask the ped to delay for a bit, catch up next time, or later on. You can design your own schedule, and pick and choose which vaccines you feel your child most needs. You do not have to do it on the schedule they give.
    +1000000000

Also, Cillakat recommends Vitamin D supplementation, if levels are low, to off-set any side-effects of the vaccines. It could take some time for your child to build up proper blood levels. Personally, I would delay until I had thoroughly educated myself. Better than making a decision that you might regret later. If you are breastfeeding, then you are helping support his immune system in the most Primal way of all!

@lizch: Thank you! I'm readig the section on Immunizations in The Baby Book by Dr.Sears now.

@FairyRae: Thank you! I was hoping to read your reply when I started this thread.

I asked for the Hep B vaccine to be delayed, so my baby wasn't given one as soon as he was born. I'm not against Vaccines, I only want to make sure that I'm informed about it before giving them.

@Dragonfly: Thank you! My Vitamin D levels are optimal (~60) and I'm breast-feeding my little one. My husband, a physician, is convinced that the benefits of vaccines far out-weigh their risks and I hope that that is true.

Lojasmo is offline Senior Member
    The benefits of vaccines FAR FAR outweigh the risks.

Give her Tylenol or motrin first, and later that day, and the next morning.

lizch is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lojasmo View Post
    The benefits of vaccines FAR FAR outweigh the risks.

Give her Tylenol or motrin first, and later that day, and the next morning.
    This is way too broad brush. I would agree SOME vaccines have benefits that far outweigh the risks. But Chickenpox? HepB for a newborn? Flu shots for everyone? HPV for a preventable disease? There is a line somewhere--for each child, each parent, each society--where you can't just keep adding more vaccinations for ever-rarer or ever-milder diseases without the risks starting to become an issue.
    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

Quote Originally Posted by lizch View Post
    This is way too broad brush. I would agree SOME vaccines have benefits that far outweigh the risks. But Chickenpox? HepB for a newborn? Flu shots for everyone? HPV for a preventable disease? There is a line somewhere--for each child, each parent, each society--where you can't just keep adding more vaccinations for ever-rarer or ever-milder diseases without the risks starting to become an issue.
    Chicken pox is often deadly when contracted by an adult. Hpv causes cervical cancer. And hep b can cause hepatic cancer. The benefits of vaccinations absolutely outweigh whatever "risks" exist.

I would like to know what "risks" we are talking about.

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast