Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who can grok-squat? I can! page

Laguz is offline Member

Who can grok-squat? I can!

Shop Now
    I did it! Without even thinking, I eased into a natural squat this last weekend!

My second job is circulation staff at the local library, so I spend a good deal of time shelving books (often times I'm walking around with an armful of large books). In an 8 hour day at the library, I squat a lot, especially with an extra 5-10 pounds of books. I haven't actually counted, but it's probably somewhere above 40 times throughout the day. But these are the typical Western bent-foot squats, which leave my feet aching by the end of the day. I've tried to do the natural squat for a while, but I always end up falling backwards.

But last Saturday morning, with an armful of children's non-fiction books, my feet went wide, and I sank into a comfortable squat! I didn't realize it until I stood up again, and I was so excited! I did it the rest of the day, and I could definitely tell the difference.

I hope this helps other beginners like me to know that it is possible, and it might just happen when you least expect it!
    My rarely updated outlet for random occurrences of creativity.

Alo's Nest

ScurvyDog is offline Member
    i CANT DO IT. mAYBE ONE DAY.

erik.cisler is offline Junior Member
    Well done!

LessofMimi is offline Senior Member
    Awesome! I'm going to try one, so if I don't post in a while, someone come rescue me from my floor.
    Melissa Fritcher - 330/252/150
    http://lessofmimi.wordpress.com
    Trample the weak, hurdle the dead.

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    *said in a GRITS drawl* You done good. *end drawl*
    It's a really elating feeling to do that and know how much it means, isn't it? I had something similar happen at home (squatting down to shelve some books on the bottom shelf of the bookcase) and kinda had one of those "I'll be damned" moments.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Congrats! I like to grok-squat while gardening. Less wear & tear on my knees and on my pants!

Bostonbully is offline Senior Member
    Wait doing a "grok" squat is just the stretching position Mark uses right? Squat down ass to the ground keeping your feet flat on the ground? If so not to be a smart ass but people really can't do that?
    "Live Free or Die"

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    After my center of mass changed in puberty, I had to concentrate not to fall. After awhile, I started raising onto my toes instead of being flatfooted, to make it easier. I lost the Grok- squat for a while, but found it after I refound my balance (ear issues, nasty stuff), I was able to do it again. *no, those aren't excuses. Dem are de facts.*
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bostonbully View Post
    Wait doing a "grok" squat is just the stretching position Mark uses right? Squat down ass to the ground keeping your feet flat on the ground? If so not to be a smart ass but people really can't do that?
    i can't do it without falling backwards. something to do with hip and ankle mobility i'm guessing...which i admittedly should work on more. i can do a pretty deep squat, but when i try to just sit like that i start to tip backwards and need to catch myself. sometimes if i'm feeling really limber i can hold one for a little while

Bostonbully is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by primalrob View Post
    i can't do it without falling backwards. something to do with hip and ankle mobility i'm guessing...which i admittedly should work on more. i can do a pretty deep squat, but when i try to just sit like that i start to tip backwards and need to catch myself. sometimes if i'm feeling really limber i can hold one for a little while

Couldn't you just lean more forwad between your legs?
    "Live Free or Die"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast