Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Periods from hell. I'm losing hope and looking for solutions. page

theholla is offline Senior Member

Unhappy Periods from hell. I'm losing hope and looking for solutions.

Like the title said, I have the period from hell. I think there must be something fundamentally wrong with my hormones or anatomy, and I want to fix it but I have no idea where to start. My gynecologist is truly wonderful, but definitely CW, so none of her suggestions address a possible underlying problem. I'm hoping someone can give me some suggestions for getting to the root of the issue.

Here's my story:

This started in my teens, with heavy bleeding and extremely painful cramps. By my mid 20s, it also included gastrointestinal upset, vertigo, and fatigue. During a particularly bad cycle, I sometimes will miss up to 3 days of work.

About a year ago, at age 27, things had become truly unbearable, and I had some tests done. It turned out I had an 11 cm fibroid tumor in my uterus. I had surgery to remove the tumor, and felt relief for the first time in years (and had a nifty flat belly!) My periods were light and painless for those first few months. Now, they're getting worse again. I've been spotting for a week now and am too dizzy to walk in a straight line. I've been nauseous for three days straight this cycle. Mentally, I'm depressed and losing hope.

I've already talked to my gyno, and she is sending me for another ultrasound to make sure I'm not rocking any new tumors. And, I've been approved for Mirena, which might stop my periods entirely (hormonal birth control does improve my period, but it also triggers psychological symptoms and aggravates my IBS, so Mirena does make me kind of nervous). But, I'm just not convinced that this is normal. My mom has been living with similar issues (and worse) her entire life, so I'm sure there is a genetic component. But I just can't accept that I'm going to live like this for the next 20 years or so. I eat well. I work out. I just want to be healthy already.

So, I'm looking for novel ideas for causes and solutions. Do some women have too much estrogen or anything similar? Are there tests I should have? A treatment option to pursue?
    The Primal Holla! Eating fat. Getting lean. Being awesome.

You were sick, but now you're well, and there's work to do. - Kilgore Trout

Redflame is offline Senior Member
    Estrogen Dominance is not uncommon at all. My doctor told me a couple years ago that he has seen a huge rise in the last 15 years.
    there is a great article here that explains what it is, how it can be treated, causes, and symptoms.

For many years I thought I had to just deal with horrible periods, so I never said anything. Things got really bad after my second child. I had both kids cecarean, 4 weeks early. My body did not get the message that I had a child I dont think, seemed like the hormones never balanced out after pregnancies (my theory only)

After my 2nd child was born my hair started thinning horribly, and within 5 years it was to the point I could not wear the hairstyles I wanted to. I finally gave up 5 yrs ago and started wearing a wig.........oh boy, I cannot believe I am admitting that to strangers here, it's a secret only people closest to me know. Anyway, for a business woman it is impossible to feel good about yourself with the hair of a 85 yr old , so at 39 yrs old I went to wigs and never looked back. ALL that to say if you can get it turned around now DO, you dont want it getting to the point where you cannot correct some of the damage
    Redflame
    Started PB Aug 9, 2010 then let 'stuff' get in the way
    Back to start and make a fantastic 2012
    Goal of Significant Weight Loss
    15 pounds down! with more to go!

StoneAgeQueen is offline Senior Member
    A lot of women's fibroids have gone away from taking Zymessence systemic enzymes. Zymessence seem to work miracles on just about every ailment you can think of.

Doctor Wong is great. I email him all the time asking him about health stuff and he always replies immediately. I have his email address if you want it.

http://www.zymessence.com/success.html

This is one note about fibroids on the success stories section of his website.
    Dear Dr. Wong,

I just wanted to thank you for coming up with this amazing product.

I've been battling fibroid tumors for quite a while now and refuse to give up my uterus.
    Last year, it got really bad with crippling pain, and my husband found (product name removed) for me.
    I took 24 a day for as long I could stand it, and did have success with it.

But, like you, I just couldn't keep up the dosage, and eating became so difficult, since
    I had to take them on an empty stomach...well, I guess you know how it is.

It got bad again a couple of months ago, and you had sent an email to my husband,
    informing him of Zymessence.

I've been taking 6 a day, and felt an almost immediate difference. Now, it's a few weeks later,
    and I almost have my life back.

I have whole days pain free now, I can hardly believe it. I feel like a young girl (Im 51)

I went for a 2 mile swim in the ocean yesterday, with my husband - we could hardly believe it.
    You'll be on my honor list forever...lol

God Bless YOU...you're an angel on earth.

Thank you with all my heart!!

A.G.
    Florida

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    I highly recommend the book "What Your Doctor Won't Tell You About Pre-Menopause" by Dr. John Lee. Lots of info on his website. Don't be put off by the book title--it's all about hormone balancing and estrogen dominance.

I've cut out all xenoestrogens in our house (cleaning solutions, laundry detergent, body products that contain parabens, etc)
    I also use Pro-gest progesterone cream to help counter my estrogen dominance.
    I think my supplementation of vitamin D has made a difference--I take 8,000 IUs/day. Since it is a "pre-hormone", it makes sense to me that our bodies will have a better chance of balancing things out naturally if we have sufficient D (and appropriate levels of A, K and calcium.)

earthspirit is offline Senior Member
    My Aunt had similar problems with horrible horrible periods. In the end she had a hysterectomy. While I think major surgery like this is dangerous and should always be a last resort, I just wanted to throw that out there, because she was almost suicidal about the situation, and the pain she was enduring.

Klynch44 is offline Junior Member
    Hi there,

Around the age of 37-39 I started having problems similar to what you describe. I had migraines, heavy (and I mean heaaavy) flow, sometimes in weird parts of my cycle, depression, etc. After about a year or so of complaining to my doctor, gyno, etc. I finally was rushed into the hospital in debilitating pain where I sat in observation for 4 days because the stupid doctor thought something was wrong with my liver! After losing it on him, he sent me in for an ultrasound and they discovered fibroids so large that they had to split the image to capture the whole thing. I ended out having a massive hysterectomy, where they removed a 9lb tumor, plus a bunch of other cysts, polyps, etc. Yech!

That's when the fun began. Its been many years since then, and I can honestly say with a lot of trial and error, experimenting with different forms of prescribed. compounded, and bio-identical hormones, I've finally reached a state of equilibrium with my body and hormone issues. I'm on both estrogen and progestrone, but since i am low-risk (have been pregnant, never been on the pill, don't smoke, don't have a history of heart conditions), i feel ok about it.

Looking back, I wish I'd read the book 'What your doctor doesn't tell you about peri-menopause' because I had it, I just didn't relate to the symptoms. Another huge one that was also an impact was ' Adrenal Fatigue' and DR. Christianne Northrup's books about the body - all great and helpful, albeit a bit late.

What you might consider doing is finding a Lab, Dr.'s office or compounding pharmacist who will give you a saliva test - that should help tell you your estrogen levels - plus how your adrenal gland is functioning etc. That really helped me, and I wish I'd done it earlier than later.

Good luck with your search.

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    A hysterectomy is probably not necessary and would certainly be my last resort! Most doctors don't know much about estrogen dominance--but they certainly know how to do surgery.... : (

Read this:
    http://fibroid101.com/

carlh is offline Senior Member
    Try lots of raspberry leaf tea.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    I think that you have been given a lot of things to run down. I does sound like estrogen dominance and fibroids are at issue, so the real issue then would be to reduce the amount of estrogen (and find ways to increase progesterone in some instances).

knowing that i know of dragonfly, i would highly recommend her very natural approach. I would also look into the Wise Woman Herbal for the Child Bearing Years by Susun Weed (and yes, Susun is the right spelling!) as this can help you find herbal support (such as raspberry leaf tea) that can facilitate this process.

Good luck. I do believe it can be turned around without going on hormonal birth control. I would take as natural an approach as possible, and definitely get rid of as many xenoestrogens as you can. Makes a world of difference.

theholla is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Thanks for all your input, everyone! I'm really sorry about all the crap that you have all been through. I seriously suspect that there must be something in our modern environment that has contributed

I'm definitely aware that a hysterectomy is an option, but for me it would be the last resort as well. I'm 28 and would like to have a child within the next few years, if at all possible. I've already had an abdominal myomectomy to remove my fibroid, and would probably be willing to do it again - just not every year, hahaha! I'm going to schedule an ultrasound so I can find out if I have a new one.

Regardless of whether I have a new tumor, I will aggressively pursue the estrogen dominance theory. Cutting our xenoestrogens shouldn't be too hard - my diet is already clean, so now I just have to check my lotion and such. I have to admit that I tend to be skeptical of herbal medicine, and have a hard time separating the legitimate information from all the unscientific woo-woo out there. Progesterone cream seems like an interesting remedy, but I'm a bit nervous about potentially exposing my husband to the hormones (http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/1...s/?ref=science) so I'll have to read up on its safety.

[rant warning] I really wish I knew of a doctor who would help me work through all the conflicting information out there. I'm also just really depressed at this point. I'm scared that I'll never be "healthy." I feel like every time I get one problem under control, another pops up. Nothing is every truly cured, only treated. In the last seven years, I've developed IBS, migraines, atypical depression, and fibroids. If I lived in paleolithic times, I'd have been eaten by a smilodon a long time ago :/
    The Primal Holla! Eating fat. Getting lean. Being awesome.

You were sick, but now you're well, and there's work to do. - Kilgore Trout

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast