Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Life Expectancy After Beating Obesity in Early Adulthood? page

Dualhammers is offline Senior Member

Question Life Expectancy After Beating Obesity in Early Adulthood?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Title explains it all. I've been Obese since I was a kid, and I am 24 now and have finally found a program that is working. I am losing weight and it isn't hard and I think I will finally reverse this life-long trend.

I am confused about one thing.

Is it already too late?

I hear conflicting reports about reversing heart disease (plaque, etc) and while I've never had anyone stick a camera in my heart I am going to assume the pipes are not perfectly clean. My last Cholesterol screening at my Triglycerides at 30 and my HDL at 35. Not perfect, but not frighteningly bad either. However I do have most of my fat in my abdomen. When I asked my Doctor he said he didn't see why it wouldn't be possible for me to be alive and kicking at 40 if I lose the weight, but I'd like to know if I can make it to 80, or even 90 like all my grand parents. I just got married and I'd like to have a long and happy marriage.

So, for all the Doctors and Nurses on the forums - what are my chances if I come out of this looking the way I was intended. Maybe not ripped to the core (I am very barrel chested) but with healthy body fat numbers and healthy weight.

Jenny is offline Senior Member
    I'm no doctor, but certainly getting healthy, strong, less obese are keys to maximizing your life expectancy and minimizing your risk of heart disease, diabetes, everything. Sounds like you aren't diagnosed with any heart issues now, so...

Plus of course your quality of life will massively improve. You will be able to depend on your body to let you run around and play and have fun and never have to say "oh I'm too tired, guess I'll sit this out even though I wanted to do it..."

So while I totally understand wanting a specific answer on The End, might as well focus on the bit before the credits roll. None of us really know!
    "Trust me, you will soon enter a magical land full of delicious steakflowers, with butterbacons fluttering around over the extremely rompable grass and hillsides."

texas.grok is offline Senior Member
    I wish I had some sage advice for you but I don't. However, I would be interested in seeing any articles that might address this. I'm 55 years old and have been fat most of my life. Winning the battle now with the help of PB and my own weird way of going about it (I seem genetically incapable of doing anything normal).

What is strange looking at most of my friends and family, most younger or older than me, is how sick they all seem to be. Kids being run to the doctor for almost anything, friends with diabetes, etc.

The three healthiest people that I know, in terms of undiagnosed medical conditions, are myself, my best friend and my mom, who is 86 years old. The only common denominator between us that I can find is that we all avoid going to the doctor unless we are almost dead.

So to answer your question, I do think that changing your lifestyle, getting into better physical condition, eating right, etc, will help you live longer. My mom is not my biological mother and I don't know the history of my biological parents but honestly, I don't care. Knowing my ancestral history would not change what I'm doing now.

Like the old joke, I intend on dying like my grandpa did. 98 years old, peacefully in my sleep. Not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car.
    Randal
    AKA: Texas Grok

Quote Originally Posted by texas.grok View Post
    Facebook is to intelligence what a black hole is to light
    http://hardcoremind.com/

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    i am not a doctor or a nurse, and there is a reason why both those things are true, but i think you can expect a long and fulfilling life. i was obese for a solid 30 years, and i've still got some fat to get rid of, but i just feel healthier. my resting pulse rate has gone down, by blood pressure has gone down, i'm no longer at risk for diabetes...the list goes on in terms of health improvements, but the point is that i can literally feel my body being healthier as a result of weight loss and the primal lifestyle. you will start to notice the same.

while i assume it's safe to say that damage has been done, you're pretty young and the body heals itself. i don't think people die at 50 because they spent half their life in xxl clothes, unless it's the second half. it makes sense that it's the progressive damage that causes the real problems, and you're stopping before you get there. keep grokking on and you'll do well, IMO.

mark did a great post on longevity a while back. check it out: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/thrive-survive/

Debbie is offline Senior Member
    There are SO many other factors for every individual, that I hope you will quiet these thoughts in your head and focus on living one day at a time, to the very best of your ability. Learn your lessons from the past and then let go of how you learned them (negative thoughts and emotions that swirl inside you). Have goals for tomorrow, but don't get lost in illusions of how it's going to be. Be present: right here, right now.

Today is the first day of the rest of your life. ~ Charles Dederich

IvyBlue is offline Senior Member
    I think that you will not only be healthy but that you will actually be running the clock backwards for a good long while. I am definitely in better shape now, at 48, than I was at 20. My peers are starting to break down, diabetes, joint replacements, a list of pills every day and the worst of them going for the lap band or bariatric surgery.

I cry a little when I hear the litany of complaints and the acceptance that this is just the way it is and has to be. Meanwhile, I'm ready to take up skiing. I don't expect an absolute decline until after 80. Either way I want to live until I die and if it comes tomorrow, no regrets.

lizch is offline Senior Member
    I think the body is miraculous in its ability to heal when treated well.

I think the biggest risk you face of an early demise now is getting a little too carried away pursuing a Grok lifestyle so you end up falling off a rock face or swimming with the sharks
    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Can't link ya but google The Heart Scan blog and read up.

mhoward is offline Member
    +1 to all this. You are young and shouldn't worry so much. I am not trying to be patronizing, I'm 27.

I imagine that the lingering effects of obesity on your longevity are fairly minor, when compared to the various acute or chronic ailments that can strike someone down. And I am sure a reasonably healthy lifestyle will give you good longevity.

Suse is offline Senior Member
    I think it could depend on your level of exercise as well as to how long you live for and in what condition. This is an area I am incredibly slack in .... I see it more and more now as I am getting a bit older (sigh) but the loss of muscle and frailty in people is what worries me as I age. I dont want to be unable to lift myself out of a car seat or off the sofa, I do want to be able to do all the things I can do now when I'm 80 so I really better get on and become disciplined in the most basic of the primal laws... lift heavy things, move slowly and often. Your health isnt all about diet, but it certainly plays a big part.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast