Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rest Days page

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member

Rest Days

Ok, I'm completely willing to accept this may be a silly question. I used to run 5-6 days a week, 7 miles a day, and usually took one rest day a week. I don't remember ever overtraining.

Now, after going Primal I got rid of the busted down dreadmill, and don't do the heavy running anymore. Been working out off and on since then, and have recently *really* gotten very into the idea of building some fabulous muscle and getting very fit, rather than focusing on just losing weight.

Current routine is 30-Day Shred, alternating levels so I'm doing different stuff day to day. Random bouts of burpees, swinging the hammer at work, sprints into the grocery store, stuff like that. Been taking 2 rest days a week. Wednesday and Saturday/Sunday.

Question is, I'm thinking about skipping my rest day tomorrow and working out every day until I feel like I NEED a break. Any problem with doing this, or should I continue to take days off regularly, even though I feel like I'm fully capable of working out continuously?

That and... how do you know when you're pushing yourself too much? I knew what it felt like with running, but with the whole weights/sprints/short cardio, I'm not sure. This is sort of a new arena for me.

Mog
    Mog is offline Senior Member
    I don't know the official fitness answer, but Mark seems to be a big proponent of listening to your body.

Besides, your body doesn't know that we run on a 7 day cycle! I think your plan makes sense. Curious about how long it takes before your body demands the rest!

dragonmamma is offline Senior Member
    I only rest one day a week on a regular basis and I do fine. If you find yourself getting exhausted, take the next day off, whether it's your regular day off or not.

Al_Kavadlo is offline Senior Member
    Rest days are over-rated. Listen to your body!

I wrote about the overtraining myth on my blog a while back.
    "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they couldn't be more different."

"You can have anything you want, but you can't have everything you want."

My blog: http://www.AlKavadlo.com

Melody is offline Senior Member
    I do crossfit 5-6 days a week. I find I need more rest days than I feel like I do and have to take 3-4 days off once a month or 6 weeks.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    I think you can safely train everyday and NOT overtrain provided you have some days of lower intensity and you're not working the same tired or sore muscle groups day in and day out. I have no idea what 30 day shred is like. I think one rest day is plenty if you're training smart. If you're running yourself to the ground everyday you'll feel the over training. Train smart, not hard... though sometimes hard is smart.. you get it.

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    Well I usually find more improvement in my strength after taking two days off, personally. I side with Mark on this - couple / three times a week is ideal, hit it very hard 3x and you won't feel like doing more. It feels weird to have such rapid fitness gains doing no more than 3x /week, but that's what i've been experiencing. From 100 lbs to 165 lbs on the squat in 6 weeks, similar gains in other exercises. Took a break (sore neck area) and sprinted yesterday for the first time in a couple months, and it was my best sprint ever I'm sure.
    I'm no expert on "overtraining" but do believe that if you have really worked your muscles, they prefer a good 48 hours to heal before you work them again. I mean, does anyone on this board know more than Mark Rippetoe about muscle building?

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    Great thoughts. Two days in a row of rest is better than one then? I do know I need heavier weights, which will definitely make me feel like I'm really working out more. Part of the problem now could be that I'm not getting the most from my current workout. I know I'm durable and can handle a lot more than I've been doing. Longer rests less often perhaps?

(Shred is basically a rotation in a 20 minute workout. 3 minutes strength, 2 minutes cardio, 1 minute abs. There are three sets of this. It works all the muscle groups, but there are different movements in each set, and each level.)

Still would appreciate more opinons, thoughts, suggestions.

MeatMe216 is offline Senior Member
    I think if you lift to failure, or close to it, you need time to recover.
    Get some heavier shit to play with!

Daemonized is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I think that strength training definitely requires that you not overwork muscles, but if you're rotating your workouts and not running out of steam then you're going to be just fine. Personally, I normally workout every week day and sometimes one of the weekend days as well. Some muscle groups I'll hit more than once a week while other lifts I'll only do once. (like dead lifts)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast