Thread: Does anyone grind their own ground beef for burgers, etc? page

janie is offline Senior Member

Does anyone grind their own ground beef for burgers, etc?

Since grassfed is so lean and sometimes dry, do you add any other ingredients (say maybe bacon fat or pork trimmings) to improve the texture? I'm thinking of buying an attachment for my Kitchenaid mixer and giving this a try but I'd be grateful for anyone's experience.

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    I make my own from sirloin, brisket, or a roast. I add in lard or bacon for fat, if it needs it.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

lcme is offline Senior Member
    My parents raise grass-fed and make ground beef. They don't add anything to it other than the meat and trimmings that come from the animal.

Russ is offline Senior Member
    My father grinds venison, then adds some ground beef for fat
    Starting Weight : 338lbs 6/11/2010
    Current Weight: 266lbs
    High-school Weight: 235lbs
    Goal: ????

Chefgerry is offline Senior Member
    I add about 25% of pork back fat to ground beef and lamb. I have the kitchen aid attachment for grinding and it works fine....I also have the sausage stuffer attachment.
    Whether you think you can..... or you think you can't..... your 100 % correct.

janie is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for the replies! I've found the grassfed ground at Whole Foods to be amazingly dry -- so I will be trying these ideas! And thanks, chefgerry for the confidence vote on Kitchenaid's grinder - I think I'll order on Amazon tonight

breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    Yes - I use the kenwood chef grinder (mincer, in UK - it says in the instructions "now you can mince professionally in your own kitchen"!) If the meat is very lean, I add some pork fat. I like to keep some in my freezer so it is always there to render down, or to make pate, or for burgers.

jem51 is offline Senior Member
    yes, it's lean but i don't add any fat when grinding....really why add fat from a lesser source.
    i just cook it is butter. evoo or CO but the key is; don't overcook it!! no dry meat in my house....bloody as hell, maybe....

AndreaReina is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    No experience making grass-fed burgers, but I've noticed that onions add a ton of juiciness. At a local 100% pasture-raised farm and butcher I saw them making burgers enrobed in caul fat. Stringy fat never looked so good.