Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My vegetarian environmentalist roommate page

terrax is offline Member

My vegetarian environmentalist roommate

The other day was a major face-palm moment. My vegetarian roommate (who is also an environmental studies major- oh the irony!) and I got on talking about conservation and the environment. The topic of cows and grazing came up and she began to talk about how eating cows is bad for the environment because the wheat fields that are created for the cows damages the land. And oh how she was adamant in her assertions. I agreed with her that grain-fed cows were bad for the environment, but not grass-fed, and she reluctantly agreed. I then proposed "well then wouldn't it be better for the environment if we not purchase grain products and grain-fed meat rather than to just stop eating meat??".... She looked dumbfounded as though that was some sort of tainted alternative, thought about it, nodded her head 'yes' then changed the subject... all while eating some whole grain crackers. However, I don't think any light-bulbs went off because she still eats an abundance of grains and gives me that patronizing look when I make grass-fed bacon.

I'm still working up the courage to give her my copy of 'the vegetarian myth', but I am afraid it might ruin our friendship... Meat it always a touchy subject between us and usually avoided but she is considered more 'credible' by our other roommates and friends because she is the environmental studies major.

Thought I would share to see if anyone has similar stories or situations and maybe get some emotional support :P.
    Last edited by terrax; 11-16-2010 at 01:20 PM.

jazmin is offline Senior Member
    You are describing me, a year ago. I am in environmental law, and I was a veg for 18 years for (primarily) enviro reasons.

I'm guessing you guys are at most 20 or so, and as I recall, when you're that age, you don't want to hear much advice from other people - you want to do your own thing! But The Vegetarian Myth + The Primal Blueprint are the two books that turned my life around. She probably won't appreciate and/or read the book you give her, but you could leave a copy lying around. I guarantee you, sometime when you're gone, she'll pick it up and have a look. I would have. And don't expect her mind to be changed right away. It may just plant a seed. It took me a year after reading Veg Myth to give up my veggie ways. Depends on how long she has been a veg, though. Leave the PB lying around too.

One thing for sure: wheat/corn/soy agriculture is by far the most destructive force on the environment. Greater than deforestation, greater than cattle ranching. Eating pastured meat is generally less environmentally destructive (if it's locally raised) than eating that wheat cracker.

One more suggestion: Give her a book called "Rewilding the West," by Richard Manning. It's all about the destruction of the Great Plains, and how enviro groups are trying to rebuild them. They want to reintroduce bison to the newly restored native grasslands. When bison graze native prairie, they actually improve conditions for endangered animals that would naturally be part of that ecosystem: black-footed ferrets, prairie dogs, foxes, migratory birds. It's an inspirational book, and really got me to thinking how if we could get Americans to prefer pastured bison meat to beef, we could support a completely restored native prairie that would no longer need to be plowed under to grow grains for ... cattle (and sometimes us). Plus of course bison meat is so much better for you than wheat crackers.

Good luck! But my advice is, don't push. Veggies like to come from a place of moral superiority (speaking for myself, at least) so trying to undermine them that way will earn you nothing but a more rigid vegetarian. Logic is what finally persuaded me - I bet the same might be true for her.

Last edited by jazmin; 11-16-2010 at 01:41 PM.

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    But my advice is, don't push. Veggies like to come from a place of moral superiority (speaking for myslef, at least) so trying to undermine them that way will earn you nothing but a more rigid vegetarian. Logic is what finally persuaded me - I bet the same might be true for her.
    +100 I was a "born-again" vegetarian for 14 years...takes some of us awhile to see the light, LOL!

chima_p is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jazmin View Post
    One more suggestion: Give her a book called "Rewilding the West," by Richard Manning. It's all about the destruction of the Great Plains, and how enviro groups are trying to rebuild them. They want to reintroduce bison to the newly restored native grasslands. When bison graze native prairie, they actually improve conditions for endangered animals that would naturally be part of that ecosystem: black-footed ferrets, prairie dogs, foxes, migratory birds. It's an inspirational book, and really got me to thinking how if we could get Americans to prefer pastured bison meat to beef, we could support a completely restored native prairie that would no longer need to be plowed under to grow grains for ... cattle (and sometimes us). Plus of course bison meat is so much better for you than wheat crackers.
    They are doing this in Africa as well. Can't find the link right now.

There is also a book that basically debunks all the vegametarien propaganda about the damage animal farming does to the environment. Can't remember the title.

Big help I know. Perhaps a little Google-fu...

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    The title of this thread should be a sitcom, at the very least a comic.

lcme is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by iniQuity View Post
    The title of this thread should be a sitcom, at the very least a comic.
    lmao.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    i was vegetarian for a decade, but i never 'bought' the environmental stuff. pastoralism just made more sense, environmentally speaking. i was vegetarian because of sauchic yoga practices.

anyway, when i moved to NZ, i was hungry. I would eat meat about once a week, and i finally decided to just de-label myself and see what i wanted to eat. Then, Dragonfly up there started posting this stuff, and it just made some sense. And my husband was pretty much already there, and my baby definitely so, and here we are.

I think that the book above (Rewilding the West) and similar will go a long way, and also just leave your primal blueprint around. People tend to look at things that are around.

Lojasmo is offline Senior Member
    Factory farming and worldwide meat consumption is environmentally unsustainable. That being said, I am going to do what is right for my tribe. Fuck the world. Very primal, no?

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Speaking from professional experience, cattle ranchers are some of the best friends of sensitive species in California (goat and sheep ranchers too), along with politically incorrect hunters, fisherpersons and military bases. (Rice growers too, but they are politically correct.) Without these allies, sensitive species would be in much worse shape.

But I agree with the others. Don't push it. Friendship is more important than winning arguments.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

jspradley is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Lojasmo View Post
    Factory PETROCHEMICAL BASED farming and worldwide GRAIN FEED BASED meat consumption is environmentally unsustainable. That being said, I am going to do what is right for my tribe. Fuck the world. Very primal, no?

Fixed that for your

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast