Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Soy nuts and soy in general.... page

zsadie is offline Senior Member

Soy nuts and soy in general....

Shop Now
    Quick question about soy. There is much contradicting information out there regarding it's health benefits or not so healthy effects. I really want to know the truth. I had been using soy milk quite a bit when my naturopathic doctor prescribed the Blood Type diet to help me lose weight and lower my cholesterol and triglycerides. Then I heard that it causes issues for women because of its estrogen content and men shouldn't have it at all. I also read that soy is best eaten fermented (tempeh) or not at all.

Well, I've stopped getting soy milk, and now drink Almond milk (which I like even better), but still find myself eating foods with soy in it. I heard it is farmed much like corn is; in extreme excess and found in many products in various forms just like corn. I have grown a liking to the soy nut itself. I have this wonderfully tasty organic trail mix that has soy nuts in it. I haven't read the Primal Blueprint yet, but just bought it today online, so not sure if there is information on soy or not in it, so after running a general search in the forums to find info on soy, I haven't had much luck, so I'm posting my questions about it: What is soy exactly? Is it truly harmful to the body? Should I avoid eating it all together? thanks

SteakNchop is offline Senior Member
    I'm not going to get into the specifics for you, but I think that white bread is better for you than soy. Take that.

Adrianne is offline Senior Member
    I call it soy-son. A portmanteau of soy and poison. =P

theholla is offline Senior Member
    Mark Sisson actually has mixed feelings about soy: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/soy-scrutiny/

So, if you do decide to continue eating soy products, choose fermented, traditionally prepared ones from organic non-GMO soy. Keeping all the evidence in mind, I personally choose to include miso and tamari in my diet.
    The Primal Holla! Eating fat. Getting lean. Being awesome.

You were sick, but now you're well, and there's work to do. - Kilgore Trout

zsadie is offline Senior Member
    thank you for the help! I read the soy scrutiny article and it definitely clarified some of the confusion. I'm glad my trail mix is organic and comes from WI!

BlackSash Excellence is offline Junior Member
    For about 18 months, I had replaced virtually all meats, with the exception of fresh fish, with tofu purchased from a Chinese market. These "cakes" were usually a hard but flexible piece of soy something, and they were great for filling recipes. The packaging was, of course in Mandarin or Cantonese, and the nutrition info almost too small to be read.Bottom line: is this stuff to avoid at all costs?

ennasirk is offline Senior Member
    Edamame at the sushi restaurant is the only form in which I'll eat soy (except perhaps trace amounts in processed condiments, which I can live with).
    "Sometimes, you need to make sure the angel on your shoulder has a wingman." -Me

My primal log

loafingcactus is offline Senior Member
    Wouldn't the edameme be a particularly high-lectin form?
    “In God we trust; all others must bring data.” W. Edwards Deming
    Blogging at http://loafingcactus.com

ennasirk is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by loafingcactus View Post
    Wouldn't the edameme be a particularly high-lectin form?
    If I'm eating sushi I'm already in my 20% so I am certainly not stressing about totally unprocessed soybeans. I don't actually know the answer to your question, though.
    "Sometimes, you need to make sure the angel on your shoulder has a wingman." -Me

My primal log

gojirama is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I eat small amounts of wheat free tamari (organic) and have 1-2 soy mochas a week (also woth organic soy). I think unless you have an intolerance, small amounts of organic soy aren't bad.
    I blog :http://raisinggodzillas.blogspot.com/
    Like me on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/...17134571662261
    "We have all the food groups- meat and chocolate".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast