Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Career Advice - Any nutritionists out there? page

Career Advice - Any nutritionists out there?

Hey all,

Sorry to bother you with life woes, but I'm wondering if anyone out there has some valuable advice for me. I'm at a critical juncture in my life, when I should be giving serious thought to what I want to do. I've learned about myself that I have an undying passion for nutrition/fitness/wellness, and believe that it is what I want to spend the rest of my life practicing/learning about.

With some research, I've come to the conclusion that the best way for me to do this (and correct me if I'm wrong) is to go to school to become a nutritionist/registered dietician. Along the way, I'd also like to get some personal training certification, and ideally, eventually work with individuals towards creating eating/fitness plans to meet their goals/needs.

So a couple of questions for anyone who may have some answers:
    1) Is this realistic?
    2) Is there a strong market for this type of setup in the next 5-10 years?
    3) With these goals in mind, is there another path (other than becoming a registered dietitian) I could take?
    4) How does one reconcile the often conflicting primal/paelo lifestyle (which I firmly believe to be best) with conventional wisdom/what you may be taught in nutrition school?

Thanks a lot for any and all help!

NutMeg is offline Senior Member
    You just answer the questions the way they want to hear it until you graduate, and then you speak the truth to your clients/patients. Or you try to stick as true to PB as you can and still pass. It doesn't matter if you are last in your class as long as you pass

melodious is offline Senior Member
    1. I totally think so. If it's what you love, your passion will shine through. I know a nutricionist (she works in a retirement home, which is her passion) and trainers and they seem to be making it work for them.
    2. Yes. Unfortunately, I don't see CW giving up in the next few years, so more people will get heavier, and so will their kids. They will need help.
    3. No idea.
    4. I've read some people struggling with this. Not only will you be expected to listen to CW for years to get your liscence, but you will be expected to spout it to pass the tests. I knew someone who was struggling with whether or not she could toe the line for the required time without lashing out at her professor for all the wrong stuff she was being taught. The only way through, from the way she made it sound, was to be quiet until you can go out on your own.

Good luck!

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    You will have more flexibility as a personal trainer--I've been one for 10 years and have done all the things you mentioned as a goal. No need to go to nutrition school where you will only learn CW. I went to a fantastic school for my Personal Training certification in England. It's called Premier Training International. Taught by PhDs who kept up with the current nutrition research at the time. If they are as good as they were then (you would need to talk to some recent graduates), I would highly recommend it. I see that their 3 month program has now been reduced down to 6 weeks. Worth every penny, IMO.

lizch is offline Senior Member
    Follow your passion, for sure.

I worked in the software industry for many years. It was lucrative and I enjoyed it. But one amazing night, attending my friend's homebirth, I realized my true calling: to become a midwife. My path toward that has been derailed for now (husband not thrilled by the tough lifestyle inherent in being married to someone on call, particularly while the kids are still home) but I ended up volunteering for midwives instead, and that has built into actual paying jobs that keep me involved in what I love. Doesn't get much better than that!
    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    Looks like you and I are onto similar things. I believe it's do-able, even if it means sucking it up and giving the "correct" answer instead of the right answer. My community college also offers courses in "wellness" that extends into meditation and other mind/body stuff, so I'm excited to consider incorporating that into my plan to become a "Wellness Coach." I do think there's a market for it and there will be in the future. You just have to be persistant and be able to sell yourself. Having the credentials is definitely a big part of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    You will have more flexibility as a personal trainer--I've been one for 10 years and have done all the things you mentioned as a goal. No need to go to nutrition school where you will only learn CW. I went to a fantastic school for my Personal Training certification in England. It's called Premier Training International. Taught by PhDs who kept up with the current nutrition research at the time. If they are as good as they were then (you would need to talk to some recent graduates), I would highly recommend it. I see that their 3 month program has now been reduced down to 6 weeks. Worth every penny, IMO.
    This program looks fantastic, thanks for pointing it out. One question I can't seem to find answered on the website: Do these types of certifications transfer to the US? DO you currently work in the states or in the UK? If the states, is this particular certification credible and even helpful to you in job searches?

Quote Originally Posted by Diana Renata View Post
    Looks like you and I are onto similar things. I believe it's do-able, even if it means sucking it up and giving the "correct" answer instead of the right answer. My community college also offers courses in "wellness" that extends into meditation and other mind/body stuff, so I'm excited to consider incorporating that into my plan to become a "Wellness Coach." I do think there's a market for it and there will be in the future. You just have to be persistant and be able to sell yourself. Having the credentials is definitely a big part of that.
    What I'm afraid of, but I think you're right. I'm even okay with regurgitating what they want to hear for the purposes of passing a test, but in practice, I don't think I could be that disingenous to a client. Good luck in your plan, being a wellness coach sounds great.

TigerLily is offline Senior Member
    Check into Bauman College. They are in the SF Bay Area, but have a distance learning program. Not exactly Primal/Paleo (because of the grains), but are down on sugar and are a far cry from CW--only "clean" unprocessed foods. I'm not sure about their stance on meat, but I have received a recipe for salmon from them. In their latest newsletter, there is an article on how cinnamon, ginger, and onions protect us from colds and the flu. www.baumancollege.org

Also, there is a woman who has posted here a few times who IS a paleo/primal nutritionist. She's also out of the SF Bay Area. Her website is: www.balancedbites.com. I (think?) that is her handle here at MDA as well.
    "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    This program looks fantastic, thanks for pointing it out. One question I can't seem to find answered on the website: Do these types of certifications transfer to the US? DO you currently work in the states or in the UK? If the states, is this particular certification credible and even helpful to you in job searches?
    I have worked independently in the UK as well as in a gym and independently here in the US. No one cared where I got my certification, as long as I had it. Confidence is much more attractive than any credential in a job search, BTW.

Personally, I don't recommend "sucking it up" and studying stuff that doesn't resonate--it's stressful, you are out of integrity and life is way too short in my mind! There are many good teachers out there and it is definitely worth the time it takes to find them, IMO.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast