Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help! page

MyBodyMyTemple is offline Senior Member

Help!

Primal Fuel
    Hi all,
    Last edited by MyBodyMyTemple; 01-26-2011 at 11:36 AM.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Check how you feel.

I’m currently undergoing a 30 day “cleanse” where I’m going to eat a very clean primal diet, comprised of meats veggies fruits and eggs. I don’t typically consume nuts, and my dairy sources were only heavy cream and butter which I’m not consuming for right now.

To be honest, I only feel crappy when I have a LOT of either grains or sugar (dairy has never made me feel physically bad, but we’ll see once I reintroduce it)

- If I have a lot of grains (like more than one slice of pizza) I get very very tried and groggy, but mostly just very physically tired.
    - If I had a high concentration of sugar (like a standard size bag of skittles) I become nauseous and usually get a headache, I’ve thrown up as a result of too much sugar.

These are things that I’ve experimented with either purposely or just cus they were around or in a moment of weakness, but they happen every time without fail.

Other grains don’t have such a serious impact. I can have some white rice, or even some bread and feel okay. Again, dairy doesn’t seem to do anything detrimental to me but then again I don’t just drink milk, I only add small amounts to food or drink.

If your concern is having to completely eliminate grains and dairy what I’m saying is you don’t absolutely have to depending on your needs. I should have stated that I’m a healthy individual with no history of diabetes or any present ailment. Some folks here DO have to completely get rid of gut allergens and other such triggers.

Final word, I do believe complete abstinence from grains is a step towards better health, there’s just nothing “essential” about them at all. If it’s carbs you’re after there’s way better choices.

Daemonized is offline Senior Member
    Do what works for you. Some people live to a ripe old age eating grains with no complaint. Even in losing weight I think that some people do better trying to reduce carbs and for others fat is a better choice. There is no one lifestyle that will work for everyone.

lizch is offline Senior Member
    Try one plan for a year, then switch to the other plan for a year. You have a whole lifetime to experiment, so you have time to give each plan a really thorough chance. I don't believe eating grains for one year will kill you, neither will abstaining from grains for one year. It's what you do over a lifetime that matters.
    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

lcme is offline Senior Member
    I'd like to know what was compelling in the argument about needing grains and dairy.

That aside, everyone above has made the correct point, which is essentially to "listen to your body." Why not eat clean primal for a long period of time, then eat some grains and see how you feel.

Quote Originally Posted by MyBodyMyTemple View Post
    I'm at the point when I am going to fully commit or put it away.
    I don't really understand why you're making it such an all-or-nothing situation. It seems like what you are really looking for is an answer to the last 10 lbs...

elwyne is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lcme View Post
    I'd like to know what was compelling in the argument about needing grains and dairy.
    Me too. As far as I know, there is no nutrient in grain that is not more plentiful and more bioavailable in vegetables. And while dairy may contain some good nutrition, it also makes a lot of people sick. There is no NEED for either.

spakesneaker is offline Senior Member
    I haven't read "Intuitive Eating," but I do know that it is kind of like the Bible of the fat acceptance movement. To me that indicates that it doesn't talk about the detrimental value of any foods because it doesn't want to shame people for eating them or create a diet/deprivation mentality--not because of what's actually scientifically optimal for your body. Ultimately, though, it is up to you to try it out. I would recommend going a whole month without grains or sugar, adding them back in, and then seeing how you feel.

Jenny is offline Senior Member
    Like others, I'd love to hear what the author thinks grains offer that veggies/fruit don't.

My take is that no matter what macronutrients balances work best for someone individually, as carb sources go? It's tough to justify displacing yummy, nutritious vegetables and fruit with an equivalent pile of grain calories.
    "Trust me, you will soon enter a magical land full of delicious steakflowers, with butterbacons fluttering around over the extremely rompable grass and hillsides."

racingsnake is offline Senior Member
    I agree on the testing approach, with one caveat. There is good science to show that grains, particularly gluten containing ones are biologically bad for you. That is, you can measure the effects in the vast majority of people. It's not a theory, it's a fact, whereas this sounds like a theory to me.

Coconut is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I love the idea of intuitive eating. However, over time, I have noticed, if I eat how I want, I ALWAYS eat more than my body needs and I put on weight. I put this down to the fact that I over eat becuase I just love to eat or its it becuase ( and I think this is why) grains and sugar make me crazy with cravings AND have bought into the all or nothing mentality. The only time I've lost it was restriced eating, lots of running and what I now know to be IF. Back then I was basically eating primal and didn't know it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast