Thread: Assisted Doorway Pullup Station page

979roadrunner is offline Senior Member

Assisted Doorway Pullup Station

Thought I'd share this, for anyone who's still struggling to get that first pullup (or contemplating trying) Today at a local Sporting Goods store, I discovered GoFit now sells an 'Iron Gym' type doorway pullup bar with an assist strap (they call it a 'gravity band') It says on the package 'as seen on TV' but I've not seen it on TV, so thought I'd share with my Primal friends who might need a little help.
    Sells for 59.99 here, or it can be purchased direct from the company for the same price.
    With it I can manage one pullup, as opposed to five by assisting with my legs (been assisting too much, I guess)
    I think this will be a great help for getting my pullups going, finaly.
    It's called the Assisted Chinnup Station, appropriately, and has a capacity of 300 lbs, so even my big a$$ can use it.
    I'm not old, I'm Vintage!

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    sweet as.

we got the perfect pull up bar ($30), and some of that elasticy-stuff and some surgical tubbing (both were cheap). and so that is what we use.

we are looking for some bars outdoors though (we live in an apt, so no yard to build one or we would!). there's a rope climbing thing at the one park that is fun to play around with, but, eh, not the same.

so, we use the low setting for rows and the upper setting for chins. everything else, i tend to use the floor. accursed yoga, makes you use the floor! lol

Peggy is offline Senior Member
    @979: what were the doorway requirements? I'm heading to "the city" this wknd & might grab one. My plan is to hang it here at work. I can't at home (I'm "trailer trash") & this is where I have time & space...

Jenny is offline Senior Member
    Nice to hear there's an alternative out there to get folks started!

We have the regular Iron Gym bar but I plan to use it with Woody Bands for assistance. (Later, when I'm less rotundly preggers...)
    "Trust me, you will soon enter a magical land full of delicious steakflowers, with butterbacons fluttering around over the extremely rompable grass and hillsides."

Quote Originally Posted by Peggy View Post
    @979: what were the doorway requirements? I'm heading to "the city" this wknd & might grab one. My plan is to hang it here at work. I can't at home (I'm "trailer trash") & this is where I have time & space...
    I can't find the requirements right now, but it fits most standard doorways, and by my measurements, I'd trust it in anywhere from a twenty four to a thirty four inch doorway. A bonus is it's elevated a bit, so the bar you do pullups on is at the top of the doorway.
    I wouldnt be too afraid to use it in a mobile home, with maybe a bit of reinforcmen of the doorway, though a power tower with Iron Woody bands would probably work better there (you can get power towers for as little as $100 from some outlets, and the bands cost $67 for the basic set.
    As for 'trailer trash' I've been there, and now I'm 'Apartment scum'. doesn't bother me, though I wish I could score a real house.

www.gofit.net Go to products, then assisted chinup station

What I was wondering about was some have dimensional requirements for door trim - trailer doesn't have that & I think the (trim on the) doorways at work are too thick. Plus I don't want to muss up the nice alder (that *I* lacquered). I'm staring into the "storeroom" & brainstorming some sort of rig for there. It's more of an "industrial" setting with rough shelves & chipboard floor. I'm leaning towards a set-up between shelves...

HAH!!
    they are $20 off right now on Gofit.net
    I ordered one for $39.99, free shipping.
    I'm gonna hang it in a doorway at work. In the back room. The door to the "utility closet" doesn't have fancy alder trim.

Rockin' Peggy, go get it!

Karma is offline Senior Member
    Just be careful. If you get the kind of bar that you twist to tighten. I have seen so many people crack their plaster/drywall at the corners above the door from tightening it too tight. USE THE BRACKETS that screw into the door frame. Then just tighten the bar enough to not slip and you will not damage the door frame. Otherwise, you will be needing a can a spackle and a putty knife within a few weeks.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    It's not that kind of Pullup bar, Karma, it's held in place by leverage like the Iron Gym and it's copies