Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Heart Rate Monitor Recommendations page

Mainer is offline Senior Member

Heart Rate Monitor Recommendations

I have searched the forums but most of the posts are old and the models recommended out of date or no longer available so I am seeking advice, this seemed like the best place to start searching. I would like to purchase one to start Tabata sprints, also use during mountainbiking and skiing. Just another gadget to play with I suppose. Looking for something affordable with a few bells and whistles, doesn't have to be the best product out there, just one of reasonable value. Any current recommendations would be much appreciated. Meanwhile I will begin my search scouring the web as well.
    You'll never see the light if you're in someone else's shadow, or said another way, life is like a dog sled team, if you're not the lead dog, the scenery never changes

federkeil is offline Senior Member
    if you're looking for something for running/biking I would suggest the Garmin Forerunner 305 - i just picked one up for $150 at costco - it tracks distance, elevation and HR - it will also compute pace times and the like if you want to do races

I have a Polar F6 HR monitor, i paid around $100 for it - works just fine but you won't get more than exercise time and HR monitoring out of it, with avg HR when you stop the timer.
    I didn't like the rules you gave me, so I made some of my own.

Strong people are harder to kill than weak people, and more useful in general. - Mark Rippetoe

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Sorry, I've had mine for several years. If you live anywhere near an REI, you might ask there.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

say_rahhh is offline Senior Member
    I've got a Garmin 405. LOVE it. It replaced a Timex HR monitor that crapped out on me after about 4 months of use....granted, I was in the tropics and sweating quite heavily but, still, the Timex was just wasted cashola.
    Because if you didn't know, of that is life made: only of moments; Don't lose the now.
    ~Borges

Karma is offline Senior Member
    There are really two options when you are looking for a high quality HR monitor. Polar makes very good ones and their RS 400 is a kick ass unit. If you want to go with a GPS enabled unit, Garmin has eveyone else beat by a country mile. The "silver tuna" of the GPS enabled HRM is the 310 XT. It will make you breakfast if you program it right. Just kidding. I have a 310 XT and it does EVERYTHING, because it is ANT+ compatible (open source programming) and there are a lot of devices it will "talk" to like cadence sensors, foot pods (to run indoors), power meters on the bike, etc...

When you buy the best, you only cry once. When you write the check.

Dave

supersellen is offline Senior Member
    I have a polar and love it.
    For lots of tasty recipes, check out my blog -http://lifeasadreger.wordpress.com/

momofredheads is offline Senior Member
    I have a Polar F6 and it suits me.
    ~*Lori*~
    my Primal journal : http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...-momofredheads
    my food blog http://iamhungrywhatsfordinner.blogspot.com/

SW 231 as of 1/1/2012
    CW 192

Quote Originally Posted by Karma View Post
    The "silver tuna" of the GPS enabled HRM is the 310 XT. It will make you breakfast if you program it right. Just kidding. I have a 310 XT and it does EVERYTHING, because it is ANT+ compatible (open source programming) and there are a lot of devices it will "talk" to like cadence sensors, foot pods (to run indoors), power meters on the bike, etc...
    I debated getting the 310XT or the 305, in the end the only benefit to me of the 310XT over the 305 is the fact that it's waterproof (305 only meets minimal requirements), but even then you can't use any of the features in the water besides the timer. I couldn't justify $200 more for something a $20 walmart watch can cover.

Strong people are harder to kill than weak people, and more useful in general. - Mark Rippetoe

Karma is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by federkeil View Post
    I debated getting the 310XT or the 305, in the end the only benefit to me of the 310XT over the 305 is the fact that it's waterproof (305 only meets minimal requirements), but even then you can't use any of the features in the water besides the timer. I couldn't justify $200 more for something a $20 walmart watch can cover.
    The battery life on the 310xt is far superior to the 305. Also, the ability to switch between sports on the fly is only a function on the 310. The ANT+ wireless data transfer on the 310 is also much less of a hassle for me. You walk in the room with the watch turned on and it just starts downloading.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Karma View Post
    The battery life on the 310xt is far superior to the 305. Also, the ability to switch between sports on the fly is only a function on the 310. The ANT+ wireless data transfer on the 310 is also much less of a hassle for me. You walk in the room with the watch turned on and it just starts downloading.
    I never said it wasn't better, I just don't see it as $200 better for what I'm going to be using it for. And, when my 305 craps out, the 310xt will probably be $200 cheaper.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast