Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Primal approved Mac n' Cheese?? page

technocaveman is offline Junior Member

Primal approved Mac n' Cheese??

Primal Fuel
    I am enthusiastic with going "Grok" out of all the regements and plans out there that never clicked with me mentally and physically. I'm 25 and I used to be an athelete when I was younger but strayed away for many reasons and I hate that I'm overweight and have no energy. I have looked at and tried alot of things but this seems to fit me mentally and physically. Now onto my question......my wife is very supportive of me doing this and she wants to join me but is afraid of letting go of foods she really enjoys to support me and it would be tedious and tiresome to cook 2 seperate meals, her main concern is Mac n' Cheese: is there a recipe or something out there to make or a brand that is supported by other "Grokkers" out there that would be a good healthy version to eat so my wife doesnt think I'm taking all the things she loves away so we can both be healthier. I mean we dont eat bad at our house, we eat healthy portions of vegetables each meal and good protien each meal but she loves her mac n' cheese so can anybody help? I'm new to this and just started this program today and need help.....

lizch is offline Senior Member
    Replace the pasta with cauliflower? Gets rid of the worst offender. If that's still not close enough, maybe cook one batch of the cheese sauce, and dump half on pasta if she really doesn't want to give that up and half on veggies.
    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    Sit her down and say, "Honey, you are sad about a wheat flour product when you have a roof over your head, warm clothes on your back, and a full refrigerator." Pause. Look deep into her eyes. "I want you to think about that for a little while." Leave the room.

Jenny is offline Senior Member
    I don't know of any specific recipes but how about the cauliflower "rice" from the cookbook in combo with cheese? Could have a similar texture/flavor. (Cheese can be OK in this way of eating for some people... not everybody though!)

Or -- there's always the "use gluten-free pasta and call it your 20%" approach...

I know when my husband got on board with this he forewarned me in advance that he wasn't planning to go 100%. He really likes pasta, bread, etc. But as time has gone on he's found he's comfortable having those things less and less often, without really trying.

bUMbLeB is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by technocaveman View Post
    ......my wife is very supportive of me doing this and she wants to join me but is afraid of letting go of foods she really enjoys to support me and it would be tedious and tiresome to cook 2 seperate meals, her main concern is Mac n' Cheese: is there a recipe or something out there to make or a brand that is supported by other "Grokkers" out there that would be a good healthy version to eat so my wife doesnt think I'm taking all the things she loves away so we can both be healthier.
    Nope. Sorry. I've become a pretty creative cook since primality, & even made some tasty replacement foods, but it just won't work for mac'n'cheese - the whole point of mac IS the carby noodles, otherwise she'd be just as happy snacking cheese with fresh fruit. No, it's the noodles, no getting around that.

That said, if you'd told me 6 months ago I'd stop eating bread, pasta and sugar I'd have laughed, and probably discounted whatever diet advice you had to share on the basis of your obvious lunacy - but lo, it just kind of happened. So, my advice (fwiw): make her delicious mac'n'cheese dinner once every week or two, and eat some with her - make sure and have salad etc to also eat. It probably won't kill you, and will set her mind at ease. BUT, that deal only kicks in after going PB for a month, if she still wants it. She probably won't is my guess, I don't.

Just make sure you do something else awesome for her alternative treat, so she doesn't feel snookered.

Katie82 is offline Senior Member
    You could try this recipe with hearts of palm. I've never tried it but it does look like mac and cheese. http://mariahealth.blogspot.com/2010...nd-cheese.html

unchatenfrance is offline Senior Member
    How about just getting some gluten-free pasta from the vegan/health food store? It will still be starchy and carby but at least it won't have the gluten. As long as you're not eating it daily it's not going to be the end of the world.

syzchan is offline Member
    I second trying a cauliflower mac and cheese: perhaps roasting chopped up pieces in the oven then pouring the sauce over it? Or maybe roasted chopped rutabaga? Chopped up cooked strings of spaghetti squash?

Not really mac and cheese, but cheesy and quite good: vegetable appetizer suqares http://www.food.com/recipe/vegetable...squares-185469

edit: meant to say could replace the flour with coconut/almond flour

superjenni is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Katie82 View Post
    You could try this recipe with hearts of palm. I've never tried it but it does look like mac and cheese. http://mariahealth.blogspot.com/2010...nd-cheese.html
    That's the recipe I was going to recommend. I have the hearts of palm in my cupboard, but I haven't gotten around to actually trying it out yet.

theholla is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by bUMbLeB View Post
    Nope. Sorry. I've become a pretty creative cook since primality, & even made some tasty replacement foods, but it just won't work for mac'n'cheese - the whole point of mac IS the carby noodles, otherwise she'd be just as happy snacking cheese with fresh fruit. No, it's the noodles, no getting around that.

That said, if you'd told me 6 months ago I'd stop eating bread, pasta and sugar I'd have laughed, and probably discounted whatever diet advice you had to share on the basis of your obvious lunacy - but lo, it just kind of happened. So, my advice (fwiw): make her delicious mac'n'cheese dinner once every week or two, and eat some with her - make sure and have salad etc to also eat. It probably won't kill you, and will set her mind at ease. BUT, that deal only kicks in after going PB for a month, if she still wants it. She probably won't is my guess, I don't.

Just make sure you do something else awesome for her alternative treat, so she doesn't feel snookered.
    Haha...see, for me it turned out to be about the melty cheese sauce, not the noodles (I was also a huge fan of cheese fries and nachos). Now I just put cheese sauce on broccoli once in a while, and I like it better than I ever liked mac & cheese ^_^

But yeah, for most people it's probably about the noodles too.
    The Primal Holla! Eating fat. Getting lean. Being awesome.

You were sick, but now you're well, and there's work to do. - Kilgore Trout

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast