Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Primal approved Mac n' Cheese?? page 2

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Caveman View Post
    Sit her down and say, "Honey, you are sad about a wheat flour product when you have a roof over your head, warm clothes on your back, and a full refrigerator." Pause. Look deep into her eyes. "I want you to think about that for a little while." Leave the room.
    hahahaha +1 !

However, yeah I suggest just eating regular mac and cheese (maybe gluten free, not sure how that taste is.. ) but make it like a once a week thing TOPS. Eventually she'll forget all about it.

I haven't had a bowl of oatmeal since february, and I never thought that would happen since I ate it constantly. Doesn't even look appetizing anymore.

Most pasta is all about the sauce. Noodles on their own have no taste whatsoever. Get her to eat the cheese on something else and get over the macaroons, man.

Someguy is offline Member
    Shave a zucchini with a vegetable peeler until you get long wide ribbons (Don't use the seedy center). Put the ribbons in a colander over the sink and mix about half a teaspoon or so of salt in it and let it sit for 30 min. After 30 min wash it and dry it off. The finished product honestly feels pretty much like pasta and tastes really good!. Put the zucchini ribbons in a pan over medium heat (You don't really want to cook the ribbons, just warming them up) with some butter and top with your favorite pasta sauce and you got primal pasta. Another options is spaghetti squash. If you don't like either of these options try and stick with rice noodles which taste exactly like wheat pasta but isn't quite as bad for you.
    Without music life would be a mistake.

Redflame is offline Senior Member
    For me, I find that making 'substitutes' just causes me to crave the real thing worse, and eventually eat the stupid crap and feel physically sick and bloated for 3 days.
    Redflame
    Started PB Aug 9, 2010 then let 'stuff' get in the way
    Back to start and make a fantastic 2012
    Goal of Significant Weight Loss
    15 pounds down! with more to go!

jammies is offline Senior Member
    I think that eating "primal + one meal of mac and cheese a week" is a whole lot better than not eating primal and eating mac and cheese every week.

Just keep it in the menu rotation for now. Revisit the idea of a substitute once she is reaping the benefits of PB and wanting more.

Good luck!

racingsnake is offline Senior Member
    Sit her down and say, "Honey, you are sad about a wheat flour product when you have a roof over your head, warm clothes on your back, and a full refrigerator." Pause. Look deep into her eyes. "I want you to think about that for a little while." Leave the room.
    LMAO - I have to say that's my gut reaction when I hear people say "I just can't give that up".

erica057 is offline Senior Member
    What about using pieces of blanched green beans instead of pasta? Or better yet, yellow wax beans? When they are cut into lengths I've always thought that it looks a little like macaroni.
    My food blog ~ http://stuffimakemyhusband.blogspot.com
    My primal success story

"Boxing seems to contain so complete and so powerful an image of life -- life's beauty, vulnerability, despair, incalculable and often self-destructive courage -- that boxing IS life, and hardly a mere game." --Joyce Carol Oates

kennelmom is offline Senior Member
    My DH makes two neolithic-based dishes that are absolutely, devinely delish. I can live without them, but I'd rather not...we have them once or twice a year. One is (Alton Brown's) Mac and Cheese. For me, mac and cheese is about the texture of the noodles and flavor/texture of the sauce. You can't take the cheese, put it on a veggie and have it be a substitute. You may create a dish that's good in it's own right, but it's not mac and cheese. We probably have that once a year. The other is Cincinnati chili, which is traditionally served over white spaghetti noodles. We have this about 3 times a year and I usually put mine over rice pasta noodles. It's still grain based, but at least its gluten free. though, the last time we had it I just had regular pasta and somehow survived. A rare treat, I don't fret over (as long as there aren't lots of rare treats every week!)

these complaints do seem silly when you put them in perspective, don't they.
    Heather and the hounds - Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!

lindag is offline Junior Member

Try Dreamfields pasta

I make mac and cheese with Dreamfields elbow pasta, using their recipe (used to be on the box, but check their web site for it). The taste is great, even my non-primal eating husband likes it. Just eat smallish portions and eat some protein with it to not have your blood sugar rise after eating.

Minxxa is offline Senior Member
    The best fake mac n cheese EVAH.

http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/mockafoni_cheese.html

Srsly. My kids love it. I fed it to my girlfriend who HATES cauliflower and she loved it. I usually do not do substitute types of food, but every once in a while you need comfort foods and this delivers all the good stuff with none of the bad. (And after a while you don't need or want the subs as much but it can be good as a bridge from the old ways...)

This is one of mine:

mockafoni and che.jpg

M
    "Boy I got vision and the rest of the world is wearing bifocals" - Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

Tigerfeet is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Have you thought about spaghetti squash?

I was HUGE pasta hound, but once I tried spaghetti squash I was immediately hooked. The flavor is similar to pasta, but it's got a nice crunch to it. I absolutely love it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast