Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What's the point page

sarahz is offline Senior Member

Angry What's the point

Ok, so I have been primal since mid-september. I have posted similiar threads on this forum but am getting to the point now of some well needed feedback. I am not fat. I weigh 55kg although I weighed 53.5kg when I started this journey so have put on 1 1/2 kgs. I have been told not to worry about scale weight, its your measurements that tell the true story. So I had my measurements done today and no difference whatsoever. This is really discouraging as although I am not fat I really wanted to see my bodyfat had decreased even if the scale weight had increased slightly. I am 165cm tall and about 28% bodyfat. I workout 6 days per week but have decreased the amount of effort I put in since becoming primal and trying to do more primal type workouts.

I have no energy, my strengh has decreased at the gym and I am getting more moody than usual. It comes down to a lifestyle thing and I really wanted this to be it but surely if this is my reaction I wonder what the point its. Prior to primal I was not a big grain, pasta or legume eater, just a low fat eater.

My aim of being primal was to free myself from being obsessive about food, live a more balanced lifestyle and drop some bodyfat, not weight and was hoping for my measurements to go down on my legs. Instead, nothing has changed other than my strength and mood and energy.

A typical days eating for me would be:

scrambled eggs (3) in coconut oil with some veg

Salad with tuna or other protein with avacado, olives and some fetta

If hungry, a small portion of nuts or yoghurt with shredded coconut

Dinner would be some sort of veg and protein from a recipe from this site or primal cookbook

What is going on? I just want to feel good, not worry about what I am eating but I need some energy.

betty74 is offline Senior Member
    I will be interested in the responses as I am having similar issues.

afsjesse is offline Senior Member
    Seems like you're not getting enough fat.

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    your diet looks pretty good. it might be helpful to see what you are doing for exercise, and what you are drinking. also, how are you sleeping?
    you could still be experiencing carb flu...it affects people for a long time sometimes. you might also be lacking something; are you taking any supplements like vitamin d?

lizch is offline Senior Member
    Seems like there should be plenty of fat in those foods, but it's difficult to tell for sure without some portion sizes.

I'd be tempted to quit all nuts and dairy...that has been the key for some people.

Have you tried entering everything into a nutrition tracker and seeing what the breakdown is?
    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

lizch is offline Senior Member
    I had another thought...how much playing are you doing? Are you having FUN with this? Instead of the same old workouts in the same old places, are you branching out and doing crazy new stuff...go to a climbing wall, swim, hike through a local path entirely off the trails (I did this the other day--saw everything in a whole new light!), find a playground and play on it...
    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Have you tracked your food intake/macronutrients? I used Fitday my first week of Primal--and I found that if my carbs were too low, I had no energy--even though I was eating plenty of fat & protein. I aim to keep my carbs between 50-100 gm/day average. I don't count any more, but now that I have tracked, I have a pretty good idea of how many carbs I eat on a daily basis...

Also, what is your workout? If you are working out hard and aren't getting sufficient calories, your body may not release the body fat.

peril is offline Senior Member
    You've got a BMI of 20 and say you have 28% boday fat. Doesn't sound right.

And echoing the others, you haven't described your meals in enough detail if you want feedback. You must consider fat as your prime energy source and be getting enough protein for muscle repair and building, if that's what you're trying
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

MalPaz is offline Senior Member
    if youve had an obsessive low fat diet past...switching to primal and having an obsessive primal diet isnt going to do squat. no carb cutting, calorie cutting or work out is going to change your body the way YOU, your mind can change your body. obsessing over ANYTHING and stressing, as you say with your weight vs bodyfat vs measurement, all that creates a chronic inflammation in your brain, namely your hypothalamus, which controls everything from food to mood to thoughts in your head.

if you havent allowed yourself to be 'freed' from food, then weight loss is going to be a VERY hard task to accomplish.

nothing about primal is timed, or in amounts, or even hours or days. this is hard for people to accept. if what youre eating isnt making you feel good then why are you eating it? change it up.
    primal is, to me, an accepatance of a 'loss' of control with food, that obsession and control. you need to allow yourself to get hungry, to eat what you want when youre hungry, to experience life AWAY from controlling food or what and how much you eat and to just live, with food as a by product to keep you going.

in your own mind, you know when youre overeating and you know when your restricting. if youre over or undereating it is a mental thing and for some reason you are future-tripping about some aspect of either food or weight or exercise. this needs to stop. when you stop all the mental cloudiness, you realize food will ALWAYS be there, none of us are going hungry anytime soon, so you need to shift your focus on yourself AWAY form your body and onto more important things(kids, hubby, interests, sports, crafting whatever it is).

im not saying i think your selfish as i of all people suffer form the mind obsession more than i would like, but it is usually the answer

marcadav is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    If I am converting properly, you are 5 ft 5 in. and weigh approximately 121 lbs. I'd say you do not need to lose any weight.

How did you determine that your body fat is 28%? Have you taken your measurements and have they changed?

Since you don't need to lose weight and lack energy I 'd suggest eating more.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast