Page 1 of 41 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: 30donn !!! page

iniQuity is offline Senior Member

30donn !!!

This is a bit of a long read.

Iíve been having some tough times with some of the choices Iíve been making in life lately. Iím ready to change them. Iím ready to be a bit more disciplined.

I know the creators of whole30 donít want you to shimmy your current lifestyle into whole30, but they can take a spoon right to my ass and eat it. However, if anybody has some deep emotional connection to the word ďWhole30Ē we can call my experiment something else, like 30 Days of No Nonsense or 30DONNÖ I like that, it sounds heavy.

Hereís how I plan to carry out 30DONN.

- No weed: This is the big one. My consumption has gone far beyond casual. Iím not against it, but a break is certainly needed. It derails all my efforts with way too much ease. I think Iíll stretch this aspect of abstinence beyond 30DONN, weíll see.

- No grains/legumes: Iíve been lackluster with this, letting grains slide in a lot. This will only be tough around family, theyíre the only ones that attempt to shove bread/rice in my face. This shouldnít be too tough if Iím paying attention. Might create some uncomfortable times, but I should come out on top.

- No dairy: This might be tougher than I think but Iím trying to set myself up for success by doing a few things; no coffee, I associate coffee with cream but if I drink tea I donít need cream. Iím going to make black tea in the morning or have black coffee and be a man about it. I wonít use butter in cooking. My only sources of dairy are those two.

- No sugar: I already live sugar free pretty much. I donít ever add sugar to anything and I donít use sweeteners. I find things that taste sweet to be off putting almost. Iíll just get sugar from fruits or any other naturally sweet edibles, like sweet potatoes!

- No bar food: I guess wings can be a part of 30DONN, Iím undecided on this. My gf works at a bar that has really good wings with a really nice hot sauce but I know itís mixed in with some BBQ. We sometimes get together for Monday Night Football there with some friends and we always order wings, mini burgers, beer and fries. THOSE will be a challenge but Iíll see about maybe getting guacamole and a spoon, Iíll probably let my friends in on it so that they wonít press the issue. I might also just fast through these, we typically donít stay for the whole game (or even watch the game) itís more an excuse to socialize which Iím perfectly ok with. Burgers are one of my biggest weaknesses, but I donít really want to eat one without the bun AND the fries, so Iíll have to opt for salads all the time instead. Suggestions on this would be appreciated.

- No alcohol: This will be one of the easiest ones. Iím not much of a drinker. Social pressures donít bother me either. Iíve done no alcohol before and nobody really gave a crap.

- No white potatoes: Iím iffy on this one, but I donít eat them much to begin with, going to focus on sweet potatoes, I prefer the taste anyway.

- As many personally cooked meals as possible: Just to make sure I always have something good to eat, basically. Also to try and execute more complex meals on weekends or something.

- No processed foods: Iím going to limit consumption of bacon, hotdogs and sausage. I love those three, if someone can suggest a good brand for these that limits the garbage Iíd be very interested.

- No obsessing over food: I know that the whole point of 30DONN is to be methodical and nit-picky about food and food choices but I want to try to take as much of a relaxed approach to it as I can. I donít want it to feel like Chinese water torture. I want it to be a totally realistic approach to day by day living. Hopefully after the first week this can be achieved, though Iím probably heavily under estimating the temptation that is to ensue. After 30DONN is over I donít want to go back to a wasteland of food choices, I want 30DONN to set up a plan for how Iíll continue to live, though I will relax the approach even further.

This is some stuff I wonít tinker with too much,

- Exercise: Iíll continue to work out as I have been, maybe just making sure itís more consistent. Iím not going to go and really ramp up the intensity at least not at first. Iím sure my thinking will change a lot as the days progress. I just donít want to put too much physical stress on myself at first since Iíll be dealing with the psychological aspect a lot early on.

- Grass fed/misc: Iíve had GF beef a couple of times and have enjoyed it. I also understand the benefits it has over conventional beef. I may get some but Iím not going to put 30DONN on hold until I do so because I may never start. Iím going to eat conventional meat, chicken, etc. Iíll try to go for organic as often as possible, but in an effort to just eat clean for 30DONN I wonít get too hung up on whether my meat is GF or not. Ideally Iíd never eat anything but GF, mind you, and maybe Iíll put the money that would have gone into other things towards buying GF in bulk. I also wonít seek out the most perfect eggs. I eat a lot of eggs so maybe I should but Iím just going to stick with regular eggs for now.

- Weighing myself: I donít own a scale, my gf does. If I decide to step on it Iíll do so because I damn well please. Iím doing this NOT in an effort to lose weight but to regain control over aspects of my life that I should have full control on. Sure I do think that cutting out the shit I was eating will inevitably result in some weight loss, and I certainly do welcome that, but itís not entirely about that. If I never lost another pound again I would be happy with my body composition. I donít think seeing no movement on the scale will bother me, so if I weigh myself two weeks in and Iím still the same weight Iíll be okay with that on all fronts, it wonít make me want to end the experiment.

What happens after?

Thatís the reason why I have not done this so fully before. I know life is going to be a LOT longer than just 30 days, so why bother? First off like I said before Iím going off the rails a bit, and though I could only make a few changes I kind of like the thrill of the challenge ahead. Itís going to be hard enough not to smoke pot, and I could just leave it at that (meaning, I could only just not smoke and let other aspects of my life stay the same) but since that stressor typically carries the others (as in, I donít ever consider eating grains unless Iím high) I think cutting all at once might be easier than just doing them one by one.

Ok, so Iím going to start 30DONN tomorrow. I know, why make the thread today right? Well, to get some feedback, maybe some encouragement, preferably ideas on dealing with the demons. Iíve been primal long enough to know that Iím not helpless in my food choices and that the only addictions I have are self imposed and not actual physical dependencies.

Thanks for reading this novel. 30DONN starts early tomorrow. Iím going to do some light shopping tonight and maybe do something Iíve never done before: Write a tentative menu for the week(s) I think spicing up my choices will make me more excited and less gloomy about the ordeal.

jazmin is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by iniQuity View Post
    I know the creators of whole30 donít want you to shimmy your current lifestyle into whole30, but they can take a spoon right to my ass and eat it.
    Thanks for that. Nice to start off the day with a belly laugh.

Excited to watch your progress here. I am planning on doing this as my New Years resolution this year. I've really been enjoying following the journals of the couple of other people who have jumped into 30DONN for inspiration. You go!

profdjj is offline Senior Member
    Good luck! Post often and let us know how it's going.

I'll try not to do a daily post on this so that it doesn't become too monotonous. However, I think it's interesting/effed up that I'm having a serious craving for mashed potatoes. Creamy, buttery, salty mashed taters. Me thinks I'll have some of that there fer dinner, mmm-hmm.

Bonus challenge: Talk like Karl from Sling Blade through all of 30DONN. Ye shouldnt'a' done that, poor little feller, he was just a boy.

This is a lawn mower blade. I aim to kill ye with it.

Bane is offline Senior Member
    Go for it, man! The first half will be hard, the last will be so much easier. I thought my Whole 30 would be a daily grind, but it's a cakewalk right now. Today is day 23 for me.

Sounds basically like you're doing Whole 30 with the exception of wings a couple of times, and maybe a white potato thrown in there? I wouldn't sweat it. You're doing 99% of the thing and you'll be better for it. But really - just eat yams instead of potatoes. I honestly like (and sometimes crave) boiled yams more than potatoes now. I think the only time I'll have a white potato from now on is going to be at Christmas dinner when we have turkey, mashed potatoes, and gravy. Other than that one specific meal, they're dead to me. Boiled, cubed yams with a bit of salt on them are one of my favourite new things. Workout, then eat one or two of 'em - might kill that potaters 'n gravy craving of yours.

The sugar thing hasn't been hard for me either, with the exception of coffee... getting over that, though. I actually had an argument with someone the other day who was saying that your body NEEDS sugar once in a while to be healthy. *headdesk*

Anyway man, good luck with things. Definitely go out and buy some groceries to get started. Nothing worse than being starved and finding out you have no eggs, bacon, or beef in the house. Stock up and make up some 1 or 1/2 pound freezer baggies of ground beef for emergency use.

The wings and taters are a big maybe. Like if I'm at the bar and my friends really won't stfu I might munch on a wing to get them off my case, though one of the points I hope to make with this to those that I'm in close contact with is that if I choose to refuse certain food items that is my right as a person to do. I don't want them to find it neurotic but if they do so be it. I already deal with the comment of "why do you always have to make your choices healthier??" (ie asking for veggies instead of fries) and it messes with me because it's my FRIENDS asking me to make unheatlhy choices just to fit in. Reminds me of my muay thai instructor though that said to ignore such comments because sometimes friends just want you to be like them, or to not be a constant reminder that their choices are unhealthy.

Honestly my life is already close to whole30, I don't miss sugar and that's not a struggle for me.

The biggest hurdles without a doubt will be:
    -Marijuana, going from chronic use to no use will be tough mentally. I KNOW my brain will be like "heyyy you know it's not that bad, you know you like it, and remember those times when you DIDN'T eat a mountain of garbage? come on buddy, remember all our nice times? light up.." but I have to shut those out. Deep down I want to come home and "escape" with a couple of tokes but if I can't abstain for 30 days then I'm a failure and a no-good addict to a substance that's not even supposed to be addicting! thank heavens I've never tried any other drugs, honestly I'd be hopelessly hooked on anything that did indeed cause a physical addiction. My struggles with mary jane are purely psychological. I hope that towards the end of my experiment I can look upon it as a take it or leave it thing.

honestly, that's it! with my mind about me I know I'll be okay. Oh and Bane, this is the thread I'll be journaling in.
    Last edited by iniQuity; 11-15-2010 at 12:59 PM.

Noctiluca is offline Senior Member
    My suggestion for the burger.

Oder it without the fries or bun and ask for extra lettuce, tomato, etc. Chop it all up and you have a burger salad! Thats how I get around that one when I want a burger and want to eat out.

Jenny is offline Senior Member
    I keep hearing about whole30. I should do some reading so I actually know more about it! The summary above is helpful though.

Glad to see ya blogging!... oh and as for the spoon/ass comment, WIN. Heheheh.

Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    I keep hearing about whole30. I should do some reading so I actually know more about it! The summary above is helpful though.

Glad to see ya blogging!... oh and as for the spoon/ass comment, WIN. Heheheh.
    Read this:

http://whole9life.com/2010/05/whole-30-v2/

There's a 3.0 version out now, honestly I don't know what the difference is.

I guess I should take some pics tonight and maybe measurements for comparison's sake. People like results and numbers. I'm mostly after bragging rights and some reassurance that I can do whatever I put my mind to.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Does anybody know if they care about supplements? they say no whey protein... I don't take that but I did just buy a tub of BCAA and I do plan on using it only for fasted workouts on an average of 3 times a week about 20g each day (leangains!)

Actually ignore that question, I'm not doing this per their standards but mine and as far as I'm concerned the sugar in it will be minimal, though it is a flavored variety... only because bcaa is downright nasty.

Page 1 of 41 12311 ... LastLast