Thread: What's the PB perspective on Hormone Replacement Therapy? page

Klynch44 is offline Junior Member

What's the PB perspective on Hormone Replacement Therapy?

Primal Fuel
    I'm 46 now, but at 39 was diagnosed with a large uterine tumor (9 lbs) that had to be removed
    and guess what? Yup, they gave me a hysterectomy.

I've been on HRT for years and it has been a challenge finding the right program and approach, to say the least. Weight loss has been a factor ever since, and I've been diagnosed with 'Adrenaline Fatigue' a few years ago. I've exercised with weights and a trainer, but was told I was overdoing it. Indeed it seemed to do more harm than good as my system just entrenched itself further into stubborn lack of weight loss.

Know I'm eating PB and have lost about 7 lbs in a few weeks. But, I'm wondering now, how hormone replacement factors into the Primal Blueprint lifestyle - if at all? Should I stay on the program (estrogen and progesterone replacement) or go cold turkey?

Anyone have any insight or experience to share here?

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    I'm really sorry to hear about your hysterectomy. I am 47 and have been using bio-identical Progesterone cream (Pro-Gest) for the last year to help with my perimenopausal symptoms. I also started supplementing with 8,000 IUs of Vitamin D (essentially a hormone pre-cursor) at about the same time. Don't know which it was, but all my insomnia and other symptoms are gone. I just went Primal 2 weeks ago and am looking forward to more positive changes!

If you aren't already on bio-identical hormones, I would definitely make the shift. Have you read Dr. John Lee's book "What your Doctor Won't tell you about Menopause? Great resource!

I believe Mark's wife, Carrie is using bio-identical hormones to ease her way through menopause. Obviously, Grokette would have never had a hysterectomy (and probably would never have developed any tumors to begin with) so she wouldn't have been faced with your situation. Grokette would have simply gotten her phytoestrogens from her plant food...and without all the xenoestrogens that we encounter in today's world, her body would have balanced her hormones all by itself!
    Last edited by Dragonfly; 11-15-2010 at 10:57 AM.

Klynch44 is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Thanks for your comments and empathy Dragonfly. I've been on the PB program about 2 weeks as well. Finding it pretty easy (except for a few red wine episodes with friends - it is the holiday season). I am down about 7 lbs already. But I'm having a hard time trusting the 'eat fat' message. My body is doing it but my brain isn't comfortable with the concept yet.

I hear you about the sleep issue. Initially I was on Estro-gel, but had no sleep, no sexual urges, and general numbness without progesterone. Finally convinced a doctor to put me on progesterone. Then I was on Bio-identical estrogen and progesterone - both compounded creams, but found over time that steady absorption was the challenge. Now I'm on regular prescriptions for each, but I'm low risk for the bad side effects.

I am hoping PB is finally the answer to my outstanding hormone balance issues. Anyone else out there have any stories to share about PB and hormone balance?