Thread: Paleo for athletes/Cordain/saturated fat is super bad???? page

erikJ is offline Senior Member

Paleo for athletes/Cordain/saturated fat is super bad????

Primal Fuel
    So I'm reading Cordain's book "paleo for athletes" and I'm having a hard time with his take on Saturated fat. He's really against it, and with what I've read on here, Griffs primer etc, I feel kind of conflicted. Does Cordain still really not get the research that saturated fat is actually good for you? Is he right?
    I Know that by reducing grains, lectins and such one reduces inflammation and thus eliminates the damage in the arteries for cholesterol to repair. But is there some benefit then from reducing saturated fat and switching to olive oil? I feel like I'm missing something or maybe just flabbergasted that cordain is still on the idea that plant oils are better than saturated animal fats despite all the research he has done that shows very little olive oil factories in paleolithic times.
    Makes it hard to want to finish the book.

MarkP is offline Member
    I believe he's changed his mind on that over time. There's an updated version of his Paleo book out soon.

Shrinking_Violet is offline Senior Member
    Gerrards Cross, Buckinghamshire, though originally from Sheffield
    Quote Originally Posted by erikJ View Post
    So I'm reading Cordain's book "paleo for athletes" and I'm having a hard time with his take on Saturated fat. He's really against it, and with what I've read on here, Griffs primer etc, I feel kind of conflicted. Does Cordain still really not get the research that saturated fat is actually good for you? Is he right?
    I Know that by reducing grains, lectins and such one reduces inflammation and thus eliminates the damage in the arteries for cholesterol to repair. But is there some benefit then from reducing saturated fat and switching to olive oil? I feel like I'm missing something or maybe just flabbergasted that cordain is still on the idea that plant oils are better than saturated animal fats despite all the research he has done that shows very little olive oil factories in paleolithic times.
    Makes it hard to want to finish the book.
    Cordain simply doesn't get it. One day - hopefully soon - he'll wake up and smell the full-fat bacon, frying in coconut oil!

See Mark's article here http://www.marksdailyapple.com/saturated-fat-healthy/
    La tristesse durera toujours...

Yeah, I had the same response when I read the Paleo Diet for Athletes. For the record, too many diet-y years have left me at the point where I can actually feel anger rising in my chest when I read the words "lean protein". However, I've been listening to Robb Wolf's podcasts lately, and he has explained on several occasions that what Cordain probably actually meant was to buy leaner cuts of meat on the assumption that people were going buy conventional meat that was high in Omega 6's. I can't remember if Cordain ever actually says "saturated fat is bad" in the book; if he does that's a whole other issue, but from what I remember, Robb Wolf's explanation is reasonable.

Torrtrefireto is offline Member
    In the main paleo diet book, cordain says dozens of times that SF is bad, and actually advocates canola oil

Thats where I put it down, stopped reading any 'experts' opinion, be them paleo or CW, and just used my own logic and reasoning

I've read an interview where he seems to have softened slightly on the stance but stills says SF is bad.