Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bread alternatives? page

Sugarloafer is offline Junior Member

Bread alternatives?

Primal Fuel
    For those days of weakness when a sandwich may just be in order. Guilt free!

http://www.therawfoodworld.com/index..._100216_100404

Shrinking_Violet is offline Senior Member
    Gerrards Cross, Buckinghamshire, though originally from Sheffield
    Why on Earth would anyone want to be eating sarnies? You're either Primal or you're not. End of. I've looked at the ingredients for those 'breads' and NONE are Primal. They're VERY carby, a couple contain raisins (dried fruit causes about as big an insulin rush as a handful of Skittles - i.e. it's Very Bad) and still more contain agave/fructose syrup (you might as well eat sugar - they're no better despite what the CW low-carb lobby'll have you thinking).

This puzzles me; the ingredients for all loaves contain "raw organic Celtic sea salt" - eh? Can anyone explain that one to me. Salt is NaCL - sodium chloride, a mineral - it has NEVER lived, ergo it CANNOT be organic. It can't be defined as 'raw' either as that term is only applicable to organic matter (i.e. that which has once lived - salt has never lived, nor has water, ergo they cannot be organic or raw).

Not sure I'd want to buy anything from a company which didn't have a clue what it was on about!
    La tristesse durera toujours...

kennelmom is offline Senior Member
    primal doesn't have to be low carb (which is relative, IMO, anyway). And, it's also not about absolutes and perfection.

I enjoy raisins on my salad a few times a week...yummy! And primal --> it's a DRIED GRAPE.
    Heather and the hounds - Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!

batty is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kennelmom View Post
    primal doesn't have to be low carb (which is relative, IMO, anyway). And, it's also not about absolutes and perfection.

I enjoy raisins on my salad a few times a week...yummy! And primal --> it's a DRIED GRAPE.
    +100. i'd only take issue with the agave nectar in the mixes, only because i like to control my own sweeteners.

and i am totally putting raisins on tonight's salad. and apple. and nom.

HANDS OFF MY BACON :: my primal journal

Bane is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by batty View Post
    +100. i'd only take issue with the agave nectar in the mixes, only because i like to control my own sweeteners.

and i am totally putting raisins on tonight's salad. and apple. and nom.
    Definitely. Nothing wrong with a few raisins!

Saoirse is online now Senior Member
    i get you on the organic sea salt thing. i'm wondering the same, but from a different perspective: you really can't have organic sea salt if it comes from the sea or a salt mine. and if i wanted bread THAT BADLY, i'd just eat some. it would taste like real bread, not a strange conglomeration of seeds and dried fruit.
    Last edited by Saoirse; 11-15-2010 at 01:50 PM.

gingergenocide is offline Junior Member
    Pretty sure there's no Celtic sea as well! Unless they mean the Irish Sea, and the only salt mined there is distributed for use on Europe's roads during the winter!

Saoirse is online now Senior Member
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Celtic_Sea
    you are also wrongly assuming that celtic must mean irish. my celtic sea salt comes from the coast of brittany, not ireland.

Bodhi is offline Senior Member
    I like to use sprouted grain bread if I'm really craving a sandwich.

Modern Day Betty is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shrinking_Violet View Post
    This puzzles me; the ingredients for all loaves contain "raw organic Celtic sea salt" - eh? Can anyone explain that one to me. !
    Also puzzled by this one! Where I used to work, we had a few organic products. On the label we had to have a disclaimer along the lines of "of all the ingredients in this product that can be organic, 100% of them are. Salt (or sea salt) can not be organic"

I suppose technically, on the ethos of organic standards, salt can be organic - it has never had any unneccessary medical treatment or pesticides applied! LOL I certainly wouldn't fancy justifying that claim...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast