Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cool "Grass-Fed" Site page

kuno1chi is offline Senior Member

Found a cool site today with lots of fun little articles about the superiority of grass-fed and pastured beef, eggs, chickens, and lots of other foods.

Apologies if you guys have already seen it, but it's new for me. Makes me feel a lot better about my pig-out today (hey, I worked out super hard at the gym!).

http://www.eatwild.com/healthbenefits.htm

hfox is offline Junior Member

kuno1chi, where do you find grass-fed meat in the city? Whole Foods? Due to financial constraints, I tend to buy whatever grain-fed meat I can from either Lucky's or Costco. I do buy bacon at Trader Joe's, but am under the impression that while their meat contains less hormones, it is still grain-fed ("vegetarian diet," which still means corn or whatever).

hfox,

I go to Whole Paycheck for beef and chicken, usually TJ's for their frozen fish. I go to Salama Halal Market (Jones and Geary) for Goat. I'm not a bacon eater (I know, I'm a heretic!), because it makes the house smell like bacon, and my BF is Muslim (he says it doesn't bother him, but I feel strongly).

Definitely feel you on the financial constraints!

Gotta be super-selective-it ain't cheap to eat this way...but it's cheaper than the Prozac, blood-pressure and blood-sugar meds my Doc almost had me taking :-D

hfox is offline Junior Member

Thank you so much for more of these helpful local recommendations!

My family mostly eats a lot of garbage so our house is much more likely to be filled w/ "organic" poptarts, "juice" from concentrate, or "healthy" bread and pasta rather than with nutritious, quality food. In a lot of ways, we shatter many of the typical SF stereotypes.

I'm still trying to learn where to go to stock up on decent food--in a city that is so often regarded as a healthy food destination in the U.S.!

The good stuff is out there...in amongst all the crap foods that most people eat, even in SF!

Think of it as modern-day foraging ;-)

Clay Guest

For SF bay area folks: I buy ground grassfed beef for $5/pound at the farmer's market from Marin Sun Farms. It's local, delicious, and the best price I've found on grassfed beef anywhere. I buy it in Marin at the Sunday Civic Center farmer's market, but they also have a spot at a Saturday farmer's market in SF at the Ferry Building. They also sell pastured eggs and chickens, among other goods. Their web site is at http://www.marinsunfarms.com/

If I can't pick up Marin Sun Farms beef (which is rare, I'm usually well-stocked), I get the grassfed ground beef from Trader Joe's for $6/pound. It's marked as "natural," I believe, with "100% grassfed" written underneath.

primal_jessjane is offline Senior Member

Just wondering, is organic meat generally the same as grass-fed, or does it at least yield similiar benefits?

Clay Guest

If beef is marked as only "organic," it is likely still grain fed -- just fed organic grains. Its fatty acid profile will still be pretty bad, and not really any different than "non-organic" beef.

There are some food chains that label grass-fed beef as just "organic" -- Whole Foods, for example -- but generally, if you want grass-fed, look for it to say "100% grass-fed" on the label.

If a grass-fed cut isn't marked as "100% grass-fed," it likely means the cow ate grass all its life except for the time leading up to its slaughter, where it ate grains to fatten up a bit. Just a little bit of time eating grains skews the fatty acid profile of the meat, so stick with 100% grass-fed.

primal_jessjane is offline Senior Member

I was going to go to a health food store today, Native Sun, and noticed that on their website they list all their meat as "organic", with no hormones or antibiotics. I suppose I should ask them if any of it is actually grass-fed...That stuff is so dang hard to get a hold of!

Helen Guest

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

Another question to ask, is not only is it grass-fed, but is it grass-finished. Grass-finished means the cow ate nothing but grass until it went to the slaughterhouse.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast