Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help, can't sleep page

Beefsister is offline Senior Member

Help, can't sleep

Shop Now
    No matter what I do, I can never seem to get to bed at a decent hour. I limit my caffeine to the morning only mostly, sleep in a dark room, and exercise. But I've just laid down in my bed for two hours and nothing. I have to get up at 6, but I don't really feel tired until midnight. Can anybody give me some tips? This is a huge pain, because to feel my best I need around 9 hours of sleep. Any less than that and I feel sluggish and drowsy all day.
    Remember, you are unique just like everybody else.

sarahz is offline Senior Member
    Hmmm, I had this issue prior to becoming primal and I have found that being primal has helped me and I do sleep much better. I also find I don't need as much sleep. Having said that I am going to try my first yoga class tonight. I think its all about calming the mind down to enjoy a better sleep. Maybe you could try a bit of yoga and see if that helps.

Mog
    Mog is offline Senior Member
    Apart from downing a bottle of wine? That works but...

Loads of exercise to exhaust you but you are exercising and I shouldnt push chronic cardio...

I have very bad insomnia and haven't found anything else helps. I have just bought "Lights Out" so if I can come up with some tips I will come back and share. Its very frustrating, so I hope you get a decent sleep soon.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Limiting to caffeine is not sufficient for me. I needed to eliminate it or keeping it super low (one half cup of decaf a few times a week). Some people are particularly sensitive to the sleep impairing effects of caffeine.

Also - some people are sensitive to the stimulation of tv, computers, etc. You may want to try 30-90 minutes of electronics free time before bed.

Mog
    Mog is offline Senior Member
    Thanks Jammies, that reminds me - if you can't stop yourself looking at computer at night, try f.lux - downloading the program eliminates the blue light from your computer and dims the screen in accordance with sunlight. There are a few threads about it worth reading (which probably explain it better) and I found it made a bit of a difference.

Shrinking_Violet is offline Senior Member
    Gerrards Cross, Buckinghamshire, though originally from Sheffield
    Quote Originally Posted by Mog View Post
    Thanks Jammies, that reminds me - if you can't stop yourself looking at computer at night, try f.lux - downloading the program eliminates the blue light from your computer and dims the screen in accordance with sunlight. There are a few threads about it worth reading (which probably explain it better) and I found it made a bit of a difference.
    I second this. I find it works better under Snow Leopard than XP for some reason (I suspect its designer made it on a Mac).
    La tristesse durera toujours...

eltigabii is offline Member
    try some white noise...maybe a fan? What about making it cold in your house and getting under a big poofy comforter? Is your brain not turning off?

Adrianne is offline Senior Member
    I was reading up on insomnia a while ago and I found an article by a neurologist who said that he thinks insomnia is partially a result of your brain not being satisfied with the amount of mechanical activity you've given it for the day. I wish I could find that article again! >.<

He recommended activities such as drawing, coloring, painting, assembling a model kit, assembling a puzzle, knitting, and crocheting as great nighttime activities. I have tried doing some of these before bedtime and I find they help quite a bit. Maybe they could help you too?

elwyne is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrianne View Post
    I was reading up on insomnia a while ago and I found an article by a neurologist who said that he thinks insomnia is partially a result of your brain not being satisfied with the amount of mechanical activity you've given it for the day. I wish I could find that article again! >.<

He recommended activities such as drawing, coloring, painting, assembling a model kit, assembling a puzzle, knitting, and crocheting as great nighttime activities. I have tried doing some of these before bedtime and I find they help quite a bit. Maybe they could help you too?
    This is really interesting. I have sometimes wondered why sudoku helps me sleep & tv doesn't.

TigerJ is offline Senior Member
    +1 on Jammies comment. CW says caffeine half life etc should be out of system by evening, but my sleep totally changed when I went completely decaf back in March 2010. I sleep solid almost every night, and issues (not falling asleep, waking up early, etc) are now the rare exception rather than an ongoing hassle. Haven't been tempted to go back at all. Not everyone is affected this way, but worth a try for a few weeks to see.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast