Page 1 of 45 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal ♥ Dragonfly page

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member

Primal Journal ♥ Dragonfly

Primal Fuel
    I found this site via Tim Ferris' blog when I was browsing the web last month. Took the plunge 2 weeks ago and decided to go cold turkey (mmmm, turkey!)...which wasn't too difficult as I have been eating a WAP-inspired (Weston A. Price) diet for the last year. Like many of my fellow WAP-ers, my body fat was creeping up as I feasted on the local, freshly ground sourdough bread, so it was definitely time to do something! I was a vegetarian for 14 years and finally figured out that it was a diet that did not work for me--my health definitely improved after eating meat again. Oh yes, and I've been eating 95% organic, free-range, grass-fed since college.

I'm 47, a former personal trainer and now life coach/EFT practitioner, specializing in pregnancy and birth preparation. My formerly highly active lifestyle has turned more sedentary in the last few years, but I wasn't interested interested in returning to my former 3 day/week lifting/cardio workout. Mark's PB fitness workout is just what I needed and definitely challenges my body in all the right ways.

I've been researching hormones and Vitamin D for the last year and after taking 8,000 IUs per day of Vitamin D on the recommendation of our naturopath, my chronic eczema and itchy ears disappeared, even while I was still eating wheat & dairy! My perimenopausal symptoms have disappeared, too-- as well as my insomnia and I'm not sure whether to attribute that to my vitamin D intake, topical Progesterone cream or regular mineral supplementation.

Supplements I take :
    8000 IUs of Vitamin D
    B multi
    Mineral multi (250 mg Calcium/250 Magnesium, plus other micronutrients)
    1000 mg Vitamin C
    Concentrated Omega 3
    Floradix Iron Tablets

I tracked calories/macronutrients for the first week, just to make sure I was on track for dropping the approx 12 lbs of extra body fat I've acquired in the last 5 years. I don't weigh myself, so I am guessing that I weigh about 130 at 5'6" (my "fighting weight" as a personal trainer was 118.) I rely on how I feel and on the mirror to gauge my progress--again Mark's philosophy really resonates with how I used to train my clients.

Here's what I tend to eat:

Breakfast: 3 eggs scrambled with lard or butter. Salsa and cheese or sour cream or guacamole on top. Black tea with coconut cream.
    Lunch: Celery & Carrot sticks with Chicken liver paté or cooked chicken with coleslaw.
    Dinner: Burger and vegetables or a salad with meat.
    Snack: Raw milk or Goat's milk kefir or a Tbsp of cashew butter or some raw goat's cheese.
    Treats: 2 squares of dark chocolate per day

I rarely eat fruit and generally eat about 60-70 gms of carbs/day.

Anyway, I am feeling great! Even better now that I have eliminated the grains and legumes. I am slowly getting my digestive system back on track and my energy is so much more stable since I've gone Primal. I was definitely a carb addict--but no more! Have dropped what looks like a couple of pounds of water weight and my belly is visibly flatter. If I can wrangle my DH, I'll get some before pics posted.

My goal is to be as fit or fitter as when I was a personal trainer. Looking forward to learn & share more with this wonderful community!
    Last edited by Dragonfly; 01-30-2011 at 08:24 AM.

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Welcome!
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

Thanks, Hedonist!

Interesting to notice that my eyesight seems to be changing--hopefully improving. I normally wear my contacts to do Skype calls with my clients (I'm near-sighted) and today I noticed the screen was blurry--so I took my contacts out! My laptop is normally about 2-2.5 feet away from me when I Skype. Maybe I'll be able to chuck the contacts and the reading glasses soon--that would be awesome!

I'm also gradually increasing my strength & stamina in my PB-esque workout. The first 2 workouts I only did one set--no stamina at all!
    This is workout # 4. I do all my reps to a 4/4 cadence, except squats which are 3/3.

Set 1
    50 full squats
    20 incline push-ups
    20 reps overhead press (11 lb weights/no chin-up bar, yet!)
    16 reps bicep curls (11 lb weights/no chin-up bar, yet!)
    90 sec Hands/Feet plank
    35 sec/side Hand Feet side plank

Set 2
    20 standing forward lunges
    20 incline push-ups
    14 reps overhead press
    16 reps bicep curls
    90 sec Hands/Feet plank
    30 sec/side Hand Feet side plank

I've been pretty low energy as my body adjusted to the lower carbs. I upped my carbs a bit (now about 70-80 gm/day) and I am much more energetic. Noticed a surge of energy this afternoon--cleaned the house, made more kombucha, hung up my laundry...oh, yeah--and did most of my coaching session this morning standing up (on Skype, audio only.)

I also woke up at 7am and took my dog for his walk at 8:30! Haven't been able to get myself going and out on a walk with him until 9 or 9:30 since I went Primal. I must have slept more deeply last night--I don't remember my dreams. Speaking of which, it's nap time...

Started my first Moon cycle (menstrual period) since going Primal and..........NO CRAMPS! OMG...I am still waiting for them to kick in, but nary a flutter...

Chocolate cravings again (and for the last 3 days), so I had 4 pieces instead of 2, but was able to offset my temporary carb cravings with sweet potatoes, yum...

Had intended to sprint-dance this morning, but body said otherwise, so rested on the sofa, then walked Niko for an hour in the afternoon--punctuated by some play time on the beach with some other dogs.

Sprinkling of snow this morning and oh, so grateful to curl up near the fire...

Oh yeah, forgot to add that I picked up some pastured bacon at the Farmer's Market yesterday. A bit chewy, but really flavorful... Had 2 pcs with collard greens & sweet potatoes for dinner tonight!

OK, so cramping started a day later--not so bad but bad enough to take 2 Ibuprofen....and that's all I needed! Usually, I pop 4-6 for the first 2 days of my cycle...

Felt a bit congested and have some slight swelling in my glands, so I took it easy after taking Niko on an hours walk through the snow. No LHT today, after all, but will do tomorrow.

Also having some discomfort with food getting stuck between 2 of my back molars. (Bacon!) Will buy a dental pick, 'cause floss just ain't working...

My usual food day, albeit with a bit of sugar in my tea for comfort...

Breakfast: 3 eggs scrambled with butter. Salsa and sour cream. Black tea with coconut cream and 1 tsp sugar
    Lunch: Celery & Carrot sticks with Chicken liver paté and guacamole w/sour cream, Very sweet iced tea
    Dinner: Bacon, sweet potato and spinach w/butter
    Snack: Goat's milk kefir and a Tbsp of cashew butter
    Treats: 2 squares of dark chocolate

I am finally feeling my energy is back after a week of either delayed carb flu or an actual virus. Never got any symptoms other than fatigue and post-nasal drip, so I feel pretty lucky, either way. I was still able to do my LHT workout on Wed, but I mostly layed around except for daily Niko walks. I even had a rest day on Friday, I was feeling so tired.

Yesterday, I finally popped a couple of extra Vitamin D (4,000) IUs and did the Hydrogen Peroxide drops in the ear trick--which Dr. Mercola reminded me of in his newsletter...seems to have done the trick!

Danced for an hour at the studio yesterday morning & did my "dance sprints"--was fun, though I was a tiny bit breathless afterwards--so maybe I did catch a cold... Took it easy the rest of the day & did a slower and shorter walk with Niko.

Did my workout today:
    Set 1
    50 full squats
    12 full push-ups (Woo Hoo!)
    16 reps overhead press (11 lb weights/no chin-up bar, yet!)
    14 reps bicep curls (11 lb weights/no chin-up bar, yet!)
    90 sec Forearm/Feet plank
    45 sec/side Forearm/Feet side plank

Set 2
    34 standing forward lunges
    11 full push-ups
    14 reps overhead press
    16 reps bicep curls
    90 sec Forearm/Feet plank
    45 sec/side Forearm/Feet side plank

Nice to see my progression! I was running out of juice and needed to eat, so I'm not surprised that my overhead press and bicep curls suffered. I really want to get a pull-up bar--so I asked for one for Xmas....

Ate a few more carbs today than I usually do--had a gluten-free (arrowroot flour) chocolate chip cookie with my glass of raw milk at our cool WAP-esque café. (out town is soooooo cool!) The cookie was way too sweet for me (surprise, surprise), so I will skip it next time...

Walked off some of those carbs with Niko--wild & blustery on the beach--1.25 hour walk today! Felt strong and vital.

Dinner was a bit carby--mashed sweet potato (leftover from TG), spinach, BUTTER, cottage cheese & sour cream. The cottage cheese was unfortunately lowfat, so I added the sour cream to make it taste better--and it worked!

Lunch was a burger with blue cheese dressing and broccoli.

Breakfast was my usual.
    Last edited by Dragonfly; 01-16-2011 at 06:57 PM. Reason: correction

jrherring is offline Senior Member
    great job on the workouts!

Keep it up! I've found since I cut out 'most' grains that I haven't had a single cold/allergy issue since.
    Even if you fall flat on your face, at least you're moving forward!

Yr 42

Yr 41

February Whole 30-ish

start. stop. start.stop...now ramping up to cruising speed!

Page 1 of 45 12311 ... LastLast