Limited Time: Grab your FREE Box of Dark Chocolate Almond Bars Get Yours>>Close
Open

Thread: Primal Journal ♥ Dragonfly

Threaded View

Primal Journal ♥ Dragonfly

I found this site via Tim Ferris' blog when I was browsing the web last month. Took the plunge 2 weeks ago and decided to go cold turkey (mmmm, turkey!)...which wasn't too difficult as I have been eating a WAP-inspired (Weston A. Price) diet for the last year. Like many of my fellow WAP-ers, my body fat was creeping up as I feasted on the local, freshly ground sourdough bread, so it was definitely time to do something! I was a vegetarian for 14 years and finally figured out that it was a diet that did not work for me--my health definitely improved after eating meat again. Oh yes, and I've been eating 95% organic, free-range, grass-fed since college.

I'm 47, a former personal trainer and now life coach/EFT practitioner, specializing in pregnancy and birth preparation. My formerly highly active lifestyle has turned more sedentary in the last few years, but I wasn't interested interested in returning to my former 3 day/week lifting/cardio workout. Mark's PB fitness workout is just what I needed and definitely challenges my body in all the right ways.

I've been researching hormones and Vitamin D for the last year and after taking 8,000 IUs per day of Vitamin D on the recommendation of our naturopath, my chronic eczema and itchy ears disappeared, even while I was still eating wheat & dairy! My perimenopausal symptoms have disappeared, too-- as well as my insomnia and I'm not sure whether to attribute that to my vitamin D intake, topical Progesterone cream or regular mineral supplementation.

Supplements I take :
    8000 IUs of Vitamin D
    B multi
    Mineral multi (250 mg Calcium/250 Magnesium, plus other micronutrients)
    1000 mg Vitamin C
    Concentrated Omega 3
    Floradix Iron Tablets

I tracked calories/macronutrients for the first week, just to make sure I was on track for dropping the approx 12 lbs of extra body fat I've acquired in the last 5 years. I don't weigh myself, so I am guessing that I weigh about 130 at 5'6" (my "fighting weight" as a personal trainer was 118.) I rely on how I feel and on the mirror to gauge my progress--again Mark's philosophy really resonates with how I used to train my clients.

Here's what I tend to eat:

Breakfast: 3 eggs scrambled with lard or butter. Salsa and cheese or sour cream or guacamole on top. Black tea with coconut cream.
    Lunch: Celery & Carrot sticks with Chicken liver paté or cooked chicken with coleslaw.
    Dinner: Burger and vegetables or a salad with meat.
    Snack: Raw milk or Goat's milk kefir or a Tbsp of cashew butter or some raw goat's cheese.
    Treats: 2 squares of dark chocolate per day

I rarely eat fruit and generally eat about 60-70 gms of carbs/day.

Anyway, I am feeling great! Even better now that I have eliminated the grains and legumes. I am slowly getting my digestive system back on track and my energy is so much more stable since I've gone Primal. I was definitely a carb addict--but no more! Have dropped what looks like a couple of pounds of water weight and my belly is visibly flatter. If I can wrangle my DH, I'll get some before pics posted.

My goal is to be as fit or fitter as when I was a personal trainer. Looking forward to learn & share more with this wonderful community!
    Last edited by Dragonfly; 01-30-2011 at 09:24 AM.