Page 43 of 45 FirstFirst ... 334142434445 LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal ♥ Dragonfly page 43

richard is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    It's really yummy!

Nah, I'm lazy! I start it with about 1 part storebought kefir to 4 parts raw milk. Then I save a bit of the homemade kefir and use it to start the next batch. I can do this about 4-5 times, then the grains are exhausted. I don't strain out the kefir grains, we just make it into smoothies.
    I used to make kefir from grains that I had purchased. It came out very good. The cultures in the grains you buy mail order or get from a friend are much more varied and healthier than store-bought because 1) store bought can't propagate from generation to generation perpetually and 2) store bought contains a small number of pre-defined organism types while the grains you buy have a hugely varied population that more than likely changes. I still have some old grains in the fridge that I should really take out and see if they're any good -- they were very good but they've been pickling for a few months in the mason jar.

I haven't been using them because really, I don't tolerate milk well at all and couldn't easily get raw milk due to the Food Nazis here. Not worth getting into a herd share program just to find out that I don't really tolerate raw milk that well either.

I do eat raw milk cheese as a rule and I seem to tolerate smaller quantities pretty well. Last night I had Roquefort, the real thing, which is of course moldy sheep's raw milk cheese, and it is delicious and I do okay with that so long as it isn't too much. I also love goat's and cow's milk raw cheeses but tolerate cow's a little bit less well.

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by richard View Post
    I used to make kefir from grains that I had purchased. It came out very good. The cultures in the grains you buy mail order or get from a friend are much more varied and healthier than store-bought because 1) store bought can't propagate from generation to generation perpetually and 2) store bought contains a small number of pre-defined organism types while the grains you buy have a hugely varied population that more than likely changes.
    Yeah, I am aware of all that, but if I had to do even one more step, the kefir would not get made. LOL, that's how lazy I am wrt food prep!

My kefir is yummy and consistent, which is all I ask. The only reason I ferment the milk is to make it last longer. I digest raw milk just fine, in small quantities.

We're on a month-to-month payment arrangement with the producer, so not exactly a herd share. I bet you could ask for a sample before committing to any herd share, though.
    Last edited by Dragonfly; 07-10-2013 at 06:43 AM.

Yeah, I am aware of all that, but if I had to do even one more step, the kefir would not get made. LOL, that's how lazy I am wrt food prep!

My kefir is yummy and consistent, which is all I ask. The only reason I ferment the milk is to make it last longer. I digest raw milk just fine, in small quantities.

We're on a month-to-month payment arrangement with the producer, so not exactly a herd share. I bet you could ask for a sample before committing to any herd share, though.
    with me dairy isn't the best so I gave up on the kefir. The small amounts of raw milk cheeses are great but not too much.

Unfortunately the thing that really bothers me is my intolerance to chocolate. Also tomatoes, beans of all kinds, and hot peppers, which I love but that irritate my gut, sadly.

Quote Originally Posted by richard View Post
    with me dairy isn't the best so I gave up on the kefir. The small amounts of raw milk cheeses are great but not too much.

Unfortunately the thing that really bothers me is my intolerance to chocolate. Also tomatoes, beans of all kinds, and hot peppers, which I love but that irritate my gut, sadly.
    Bummer. I don't know how I could survive without chocolate!

Yesterday's Food:
    Tea w/cream
    Coffee
    Cheese, pork liver pâté, olives, chocolate butter, limeade
    Pork tacos, manhattan!, chocolate

Today's Food:
    Tea w/ cream
    Eggs with salsa & sour cream, chocolate butter
    Cheese, pickles
    Nuts
    Last edited by Dragonfly; 07-11-2013 at 06:49 PM.

Nothing like trying on clothes in a poorly lit dressing room to give a person motivation!

After 6 weeks of ketosis, I feel adapted enough to do a mostly meat and eggs diet for the next three weeks. I have maintained my weight at 125 for the last month, no problem.

We are leaving for one of our hometowns on the 31st and this is excellent motivation for dropping a bit more of my body fat. I am hoping that my body will be just as happy to consume subcutaneous fat as dietary fat! So goodbye cheese, chocolate butter and nuts-- for a wee while.

Friday Food:
    Tea w/cream, bone broth
    Steak and eggs, limeade
    Ground lamb with BBQ sauce
    Small amount of chocolate butter (couldn't go cold turkey, haha!)
    Last edited by Dragonfly; 07-14-2013 at 07:21 AM.

Nothing like trying on clothes in a poorly lit dressing room to give a person motivation!

After 6 weeks of ketosis, I feel adapted enough to do a mostly meat and eggs diet for the next three weeks. I have maintained my weight at 125 for the last month, no problem.

We are leaving for one of our hometowns on the 31st and this is excellent motivation for dropping a bit more of my body fat. I am hoping that my body will be just as happy to consume subcutaneous fat as dietary fat! So goodbye cheese, chocolate butter and nuts-- for a wee while.
    pretty rad!

I'm probably still too high on the nuts. Not good for the PUFA content either. And I could be a bit thinner (although my wife doesn't think so). Probably what I really need is resistance training again...I haven't lifted in months due to a tendon injury and also some other factors.

Good luck losing that bodyfat! Couldn't be much to lose!

Thanks Richard! I appreciate the encouragement.

Unfortunately, due to hormones (ahem!) I wasn't as compliant with my diet yesterday. Not too bad, overall though!

Saturday Food:
    Tea w/cream
    Bone broth
    Steak and duck eggs, limeade
    Cheese, nuts, chocolate butter ( all small quantities, thank goodness!)
    Kefir with raspberries

Page 43 of 45 FirstFirst ... 334142434445 LastLast