Page 40 of 45 FirstFirst ... 303839404142 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal ♥ Dragonfly page 40

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member

geostump is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    That seriously sucks!
    It does suck. But that's the way the proverbial cookie crumbled in my direction.
    Georgette

marthat is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for the recipe, Dragonfly. How much is a "packet" of Kerrygold"? Are there 4 in a lb? I haven't had much luck finding it in my part of Canada. And how big are the dark chocolate bars?

It sounds awesome. Have you ever tried adding a bit of cinnamon or cayenne to make flavoured chocolate butters?

Ah, I had better edit my post for my international readers. Thanks for the heads up, Martha!

It's 8 oz. (227g) Any kind of butter will work, Pastured is preferred.

3.5 oz (100 g) bars.

I'm sure you could add lots of different flavors! Being in keto, the more salt the better, so sea salt is my personal preference.
    Last edited by Dragonfly; 07-04-2013 at 06:02 AM.

richard is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    Great blog post about the myths of vlc and thyroid issues:

The Scribble Pad: Low carb and thyroid: separating the truth from nonsense.
    very nice, thank you

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Hey Dragonfly,

I have a Vitamin D question and I figured you were the lady to ask

I'm confused about dosage. Whenever I see people saying what they take, the numbers are in the 1000s. I take this supp: Tesco Calcium And Vitamin D 90'S - Groceries - Tesco Groceries and at two a day my dosage is 5g. Is this being measured in a different unit, or are you guys taking way more?

Thanks!
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    Hey Dragonfly,

I have a Vitamin D question and I figured you were the lady to ask

I'm confused about dosage. Whenever I see people saying what they take, the numbers are in the 1000s. I take this supp: Tesco Calcium And Vitamin D 90'S - Groceries - Tesco Groceries and at two a day my dosage is 5g. Is this being measured in a different unit, or are you guys taking way more?

Thanks!
    Hey YB~

That is only 200 IUs. (g divided by .025 equals IUs)

Also, tablet (dry) D3 is poorly absorbed and you certainly don't need a calcium supplement if you are eating dairy. Ditch it.

This is the brand I use and recommend: Carlson Solar D Gems (4000IU) 120 sgels: Amazon.co.uk: Health & Beauty

If you live most of the time in the UK, you are probably very deficient like all of my UK clients (get tested!) then take 8-12,000 IUs for 3 months and retest. Most folk only need 1000 IUs per 25 lbs of bodyweight to maintain once they get to an optimal blood level of 50-60 ng/ml.

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for explaining that, and for the suggestion! What is that measuring unit, out of interest?

I got tested recently and yup - I was deficient. Which is why I bought those Vit D sups -
    I bought the ones with calcium cos at the time I wasn't eating dairy... sigh. Hate wasting these things! The ones you suggested are expensive, but I guess it's worth it...
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

richard is offline Senior Member
    I sometimes take 50,000IU per day for a week or a month. If I have a tendon or bone injury I find this makes it better really fast. But always with K2 and a bit of vitamin A.

I use this:
    Vitamin D3 50,000 IU from BioTech Pharmacal, The Trusted SourceBioTech Pharmacal Vitamins, Supplements, Vitamin D

But if it's available, try to order from Amazon as they are cheaper.

Page 40 of 45 FirstFirst ... 303839404142 ... LastLast