Thread: Question about coconut flour pancakes page

MonkeyGuy is offline Member

Question about coconut flour pancakes

Primal Fuel
    I made these paleo coconut flour pancakes for the second time: http://www.cheeseslave.com/2008/10/1...lour-pancakes/

They're pretty good, but I think they are slightly on the dry side and definitely need a "maple syrup-like" topping. Paleo maple syrup? Any suggestions? I saw some sugar-free maple syrup in the store but it was made with sucrolose, which I'm not convinced is 100% safe.
    http://healthymindfitbody.com
    "Achieve your perfect weight through the mind-body connection!"

lolov is offline Senior Member
    Hmm... a couple of ideas. One is to add bananas, applesauce or yogurt (if you do dairy) to moisten up the batter. You could also add blueberries which would add moisture and mouthfeel when you eat them. What about drenching them in a coconut cream type of sauce?

Or, alternatively, count pure maple syrup in your 20% and ENJOY!!!

barryman9000 is offline Senior Member
    I count 100% real maple syrup as Paleo. I just watch my carb count on pancake day.

Regarding the pancakes, these are the best I've ever had. I use equal parts Almond meal and ground pecans though - way better!
    http://www.sonofgrok.com/2009/09/old-old-world-waffles/

Meadow is offline Senior Member
    I melt butter and add a bit of maple syrup and dip my coconut pancakes in that. Since my sweet tooth is so reduced it doesn't take much.

Saoirse is offline Senior Member
    oh yeah, lots of butter, salt, and a tiny bit of maple syrup. oh, and i make my pancakes with cashew butter, egg, butter, and a little smooshed banana. we call them banana mancakes.

MalPaz is offline Senior Member
    warning to anyone first trying coconut flour...i get sick everytime i eat it in or with or cooked in anything. i dont know if it is the unnaturalness of it being defatted or what but i literally get so sick to my stomach i almost barf everytime. coconut oil and butter or milk is fine...just the flour. i gave up all attempts on trying to mock any kinda food anyways

Meadow is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MalPaz View Post
    warning to anyone first trying coconut flour...i get sick everytime i eat it in or with or cooked in anything. i dont know if it is the unnaturalness of it being defatted or what but i literally get so sick to my stomach i almost barf everytime. coconut oil and butter or milk is fine...just the flour. i gave up all attempts on trying to mock any kinda food anyways
    I cannot eat things made with A LOT of coconut flour either, like cookies or muffins. Just leaves me feeling bleh. But when I make pancakes I only use about 2 teaspoons of coconut flour to two eggs, and that seems to be okay with my stomach. I also only make these very rarely, like once or twice a month.

Egoldstein is offline Senior Member
    I thin the batter with a bit of coconut milk until it is the consistency of wheat-type pancake batter, and let the batter sit for 5 minutes for the coconut flour to soak up the liquid. To serve, I heat blueberries and pour the warm blueberries and exuded liquid over the pancakes. No extra sweetener needed.