Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dr. Bronners soap as shampoo

Hybrid View

Dr. Bronners soap as shampoo

I saw in another thread that people use Dr. Bronner's as shampoo and it helps with dandruff. I have tried it the last 2 days and my hair feels icky. It feels like I have a bunch of product in it, kinda sticky, for lack of a better description. I rinsed really well both days and no conditioner after. All though I do use a spray on leave conditioner so I can get a comb through it. My hair is long, kinds thick, and curly/wavy. I like the idea of a natural shampoo, but my hair just feels gross. Any ideas or has anyone experienced this?

I haven't used it but a few people have said it didn't work well as a shampoo. I have very long hair which is naturally curly and I've started to use baking soda as a shampoo. it works really well and doesn't dry my hair out or anything.

Quote Originally Posted by StoneAgeQueen View Post
    I haven't used it but a few people have said it didn't work well as a shampoo. I have very long hair which is naturally curly and I've started to use baking soda as a shampoo. it works really well and doesn't dry my hair out or anything.
    Do you have any dandruff/psoriasis issues? That was the reason I was trying the Dr. Bronner's. I have tried to baking soda and vinegar in the past. Do you use the vinegar? I always thought my hair smelled like wet dog when I used the vinegar, but it felts awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by betty74 View Post
    Do you have any dandruff/psoriasis issues? That was the reason I was trying the Dr. Bronner's. I have tried to baking soda and vinegar in the past. Do you use the vinegar? I always thought my hair smelled like wet dog when I used the vinegar, but it felts awesome.
    No I haven't ever used the vinegar actually. I do deep condition my hair over night with coconut oil though, a few times a week. yes I have scalp issues. I'm not sure what it is really. I don't think it's psoriasis as I don't have big red patches underneath the flakes. It's kind of like really, really dry skin which flakes off if I scratch it. The more I scratch it the worse it gets. But it has improved since I stopped using regular shampoo. It's odd because my skin isn't dry anywhere else.

If you have psoriasis, I highly reccomend you look into Daily treatment shampoo by Joico. It used to be called "bijoba". I have had scalp psoriasis for 38years and NOTHING has worked as well as the Joico product. Most beauty supply stores have it and a lot of salons carry it too.

Dr. Bronner's works well as a body soap, but not so well as a shampoo.

Dave

I haven't had a lot of luck since I gave up shampoo. Dr. Bronner's -- sticky, and a white residue started building up on the brush and comb. Pine tar soap -- ditto, plus at first it smelled like burnt rubber. I like the vinegar rinse well enough, well diluted with water before use.

I'll try the baking soda and then the vinegar rinse today. That's something I haven't tried yet.

I still wonder if using beer as shampoo would work better. People say it helps the hair get thick and healthy. Maybe when I have a few days off to try it the first time?

[QUOTE=piano-doctor-lady;264594]I haven't had a lot of luck since I gave up shampoo. Dr. Bronner's -- sticky, and a white residue started building up on the brush and comb.

I am glad the sticky isn't only me. I thought I was nuts!

[QUOTE=piano-doctor-lady;264594]I haven't had a lot of luck since I gave up shampoo. Dr. Bronner's -- sticky, and a white residue started building up on the brush and comb.

Dr. Bronner's is soap and a precipitate forms when used. Most shampoos are detergents which bind to the fat and carry it away. Which is why they strip the hair when used.

Pretty hard to just invent a white residue in one's comb ... assuming it wasn't a hallucination? <grin>

I don't think I have the right answer for poo-less living yet. Somewhere there's something which doesn't have all the bad chemicals in it but can still do a good job on hair and be pleasant to use. I just haven't found it yet.

Quote Originally Posted by piano-doctor-lady View Post
    Pretty hard to just invent a white residue in one's comb ... assuming it wasn't a hallucination? <grin>

I don't think I have the right answer for poo-less living yet. Somewhere there's something which doesn't have all the bad chemicals in it but can still do a good job on hair and be pleasant to use. I just haven't found it yet.
    I haven't seen the white residue yet as I have only used it 2 days. lol Just that sticky feeling in my hair. I may try the baking soda again.