Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dr. Bronners soap as shampoo page

betty74 is offline Senior Member

Dr. Bronners soap as shampoo

Shop Now
    I saw in another thread that people use Dr. Bronner's as shampoo and it helps with dandruff. I have tried it the last 2 days and my hair feels icky. It feels like I have a bunch of product in it, kinda sticky, for lack of a better description. I rinsed really well both days and no conditioner after. All though I do use a spray on leave conditioner so I can get a comb through it. My hair is long, kinds thick, and curly/wavy. I like the idea of a natural shampoo, but my hair just feels gross. Any ideas or has anyone experienced this?

StoneAgeQueen is offline Senior Member
    I haven't used it but a few people have said it didn't work well as a shampoo. I have very long hair which is naturally curly and I've started to use baking soda as a shampoo. it works really well and doesn't dry my hair out or anything.
    Type 1 diabetic for 25 years.
    Low carb for 7 years, LC Primal for 2.5 of those.
    Fruit and starch free.
    Total weight loss- 3 stone/42 pounds. Current weight = 121 pounds. Height 5'5
    I take Zymessence systemic enzymes.

Quote Originally Posted by StoneAgeQueen View Post
    I haven't used it but a few people have said it didn't work well as a shampoo. I have very long hair which is naturally curly and I've started to use baking soda as a shampoo. it works really well and doesn't dry my hair out or anything.
    Do you have any dandruff/psoriasis issues? That was the reason I was trying the Dr. Bronner's. I have tried to baking soda and vinegar in the past. Do you use the vinegar? I always thought my hair smelled like wet dog when I used the vinegar, but it felts awesome.

piano-doctor-lady is offline Senior Member
    I haven't had a lot of luck since I gave up shampoo. Dr. Bronner's -- sticky, and a white residue started building up on the brush and comb. Pine tar soap -- ditto, plus at first it smelled like burnt rubber. I like the vinegar rinse well enough, well diluted with water before use.

I'll try the baking soda and then the vinegar rinse today. That's something I haven't tried yet.

I still wonder if using beer as shampoo would work better. People say it helps the hair get thick and healthy. Maybe when I have a few days off to try it the first time?

[QUOTE=piano-doctor-lady;264594]I haven't had a lot of luck since I gave up shampoo. Dr. Bronner's -- sticky, and a white residue started building up on the brush and comb.

I am glad the sticky isn't only me. I thought I was nuts!

piano-doctor-lady is offline Senior Member
    Pretty hard to just invent a white residue in one's comb ... assuming it wasn't a hallucination? <grin>

I don't think I have the right answer for poo-less living yet. Somewhere there's something which doesn't have all the bad chemicals in it but can still do a good job on hair and be pleasant to use. I just haven't found it yet.

Quote Originally Posted by piano-doctor-lady View Post
    Pretty hard to just invent a white residue in one's comb ... assuming it wasn't a hallucination? <grin>

I don't think I have the right answer for poo-less living yet. Somewhere there's something which doesn't have all the bad chemicals in it but can still do a good job on hair and be pleasant to use. I just haven't found it yet.
    I haven't seen the white residue yet as I have only used it 2 days. lol Just that sticky feeling in my hair. I may try the baking soda again.

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    I use Kiss My Face Whenever shampoo. Mild and leaves my hair looking awesome! Baking soda gave me a rash, wierdly enough....

Also, when I optimized my vitamin D levels, my eczema and dry skin disappeared. So if you haven't already, I would suggest you check out the Vitamin D thread here.
    Last edited by Dragonfly; 11-14-2010 at 12:27 PM.

NutMeg is offline Senior Member
    I ahve started to skip the shampoo and just use a mild conditioner. I use a small amount of conditioner, rub it into the scalp really well and rinse with cool water, then put some more in and let it sit untilt he end of my shower, rinse and massage the scalp well again with cool water. It seems to be good so far. I couldn't do no poo.

Not sure no shampoo or some substitute would work. My scalp can get pretty oily.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast