Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Activity Thread page

entwyf is offline Senior Member

Activity Thread

Somebody in another thread said, why not start an activity thread?

For people who are ramping into activity, not for people who are jumping off small cliffs. A way of checking in and saying, Lookit! Look what I can do (even though I have been a slug for the past twelve years). And getting feedback.

I think it's a great idea.

I think that, by nature and by nurture, this kind of thing is more of an encouragement for women. (These days, I am trying really hard to get in touch with my Primal, womanly "tend and befriend" tendencies because I think a lot of my non-Primal lifestyle is due to a distinct lack of that.)

Anyway, here is the activity update part: I think I initially posted in this forum about a week and a half ago, and I think I have succeeded in being active since then. I am doing my "no-impact aerobics" each day at a relaxed pace. I am throwing in a minute or two of brisk activity here and there. I am trying to end each day by climbing in bed, relaxing, and drifting off to a CD of serene music.

I am very proud of myself for having done TEN wall push-ups yesterday.

In some ways it seems ridiculous to write about a week and a half of doing nothing--at least in comparison to other fitness programs. But by golly, I feel for the first time since I was six that I am really functioning in a way that God made me to function.

I am mostly Scotch-Irish on both sides of my family. In my case, that has produced a love of thinking outside the box, a conviction that it is actually easy to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear, a cranky egalitarianism, and an inability to sit still. Life without movement, exploration, touching, feeling, making, and doing is a sad life.

Whatever problematic historical/political craziness has been part of Scotch-Irish culture, in the early days of this country, that culture was all about: go out in the woods, go till you drop, rest until you can get up and walk and see straight, and then do it again.

The Primal way of doing things is obviously less strenuous than what explorers and hunters and trappers and pioneers experienced back then. Thinking about what women did, I doubt that any modern American woman, certainly not me, could go out in a wild place, without family or friends for hundreds of miles, and keep a homestead together (including small children) while her husband went off for weeks or months in search of food.

Nevertheless, Primal-ness really speaks to my inner pioneer (so to speak) about how people should function.

I know there's still a tough, scrappy core in me. I have real hope that I can find it.

Edith

Lojasmo is offline Senior Member
    We spent three days in Seattle, relying only on foot and rail for transport. Just getting ready to board the train to the airport. We probably walked fifteen miles this weekend.

Activity Thread: one more thing

I am experiencing one of the things that has ALWAYS happened to me when I have worked to make lifestyle changes, especially in terms of activity.

I am five days into what I think used to be called croup. A horrible head cold, a feeling of drowning in snot (very pale celery green), a cough like a barking dog, a sense that my brain has turned to cooked cauliflower, the energy of a wilted piece of lettuce. It came on slowly, packed a punch, and is now, I think, on the way out.

I am up to the gills with green tea with ginger and with soup (hamburger, onions, cabbage, carrots, garlic, ginger, sesame oil, and soy sauce).

Is it coincidental, or has anyone else experienced this "no, I don't want to get better" response from your body? I swear to you, EVERY time I've made a commitment to better health, especially improved activity, something like this happens.

Edith

Debbie is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by entwyf View Post
    I am mostly Scotch-Irish on both sides of my family. In my case, that has produced a love of thinking outside the box, a conviction that it is actually easy to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear, a cranky egalitarianism, and an inability to sit still. Life without movement, exploration, touching, feeling, making, and doing is a sad life.
    I have always referred to myself as an American of European Mutt heritage. Maybe, I'm actually Scotch-Irish!

Well, today, because I am sick, my activity has been mostly walking around the kitchen, making green tea (with slices of ginger and a dash of vanilla flavoring) and heating up soup. Very hunter-gathery. Actually, the soup is chopped-up sardines, collard greens and spinach, onions, garlic, HOT chili powder,a touch of sesame oil and soy sauce, and half a stick of butter, simply because it's what I had available. (My shopping skills some days are as good as my spear-tossing skills.)

I did do twenty wall pushups. Make you stand up straight, don't they?

I am blowing the dust off an exercise machine I bought from someone a couple of years ago. It has a seat like a bike, handles and "pedals." You pull on the handles, push on the pedals and go from sitting to standing in one fell swoop.

Now I think I will go stand in the shower for twenty minutes and see if I can clear things out enough to stop mouth-breathing.

Edith

PrimalWannabeGirl is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for starting this thread, Edith. I appreciate it, and I intend to use it! I hope you feel better soon. Your soup sounds very healing. I'm making soup for dinner, too: bone broth base with some onions, kale, potatoes, chorizo sausage. Everything is local, organic, pastured, homemade. I'm proud of myself!

I did a deep stretch yoga class today and walked around a lot. I am feeling more energy these days and tending it carefully. I'm going to lie down for a while this afternoon with a cup of tea and some good books. After total adrenal fatigue/burnout--whatever you wanna call it----I pay careful attention to my energy levels. I have a tendency to overdo it!

PWG

Tea sounds so good! What kind?

I think I officially burned out in February of 2008. Unfortunately, I thought the answer to that would be some combination of coffee and aerobics.

Enjoy your afternoon.

Edith

PrimalWannabeGirl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by entwyf View Post
    Tea sounds so good! What kind?

I think I officially burned out in February of 2008. Unfortunately, I thought the answer to that would be some combination of coffee and aerobics.

Enjoy your afternoon.

Edith
    Hahahaha! I recognize that attitude.....aerobic and coffee....Hahahaha!

I drink all kinds of tea----green tea, chai tea, licorice tea, chamomile tea, sleepytime tea with valerian, ginger tea, etc. I gave up coffee (caffeine) a few weeks ago in desperation for some relief from my racing heart and insomnia. I am doing much better since going coffee-less and adding Mark's Damage Control Master Formula and Primal Calm.

Today I am just going to get up from this computer after I finish my tea, and take my glorious female body to the Y to work out in the pool by myself. I'm going to do a little bit of water walking, some strength training---they have "weights" you can use in the water---and then do a ballet barre at the side of the shallow pool.

How bout you?
    PWG

Today, I went back to work. Only had to be there until 2. Left to go home for the window repair guy.

Stopped at the grocery store to get some distilled water for my CPAP humidifier. Walked home--fifteen minutes--carrying my "heavy" gallon jug and my heavy tote bag (eight pounds and six pounds respectively).

Passed by neighborhood church that I don't often pass by, saw a sign for a program that includes ESL tutoring, and ended up volunteering. (That's exercise of the mind, certainly.)

At home, made some more "soup" with sardines, greens, onions, garlic while window repair guy did a good job. Did five wall pushups. Will go to see if soup is ready, have some, and then go down and test the exercise "bike" I have not used for some time.

I'm hoping that tomorrow will bring more improvement regarding my nasal issues, including a bit more energy. Could sardine soup replace chicken soup?

Edith

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Went down in the basement an hour and a half ago, got on my exercise "bike," a machine that has a bike seat, a handle bar of sorts, and pedals of sorts. You sit on the seat, pull on the handle, push on the pedals, and go from sitting to standing. I did this thirty times as quickly as I could, ignoring the voice in my head that said, "How about stopping now? How about now?" Then I sat quietly until my heartbeat was normal and pushed/pulled another fifteen times. Done.

(Just a few minutes ago, I weighed myself. Back on November 3, when I started posting, I weighed 246. Now I weigh 242. Neat. It's probably four pounds of nose drippings from my cold. But hey, it's something.)

Edith

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast