Thread: In need of a bit of help... page

darkjr is offline Junior Member

In need of a bit of help...

Hello everyone. I'm a new Primal follower and I'm loving every minute. I've just completed my 3rd week and already I'm seeing signs of better health.

I do have one small question. I've been trying to use the fitday software to keep track of everything I eat and I'm getting really mad at this "junk". You type simple chicken breast and they give you a list with items not even related... Then the headache of choosing what type ( difference between skinless raw(yield after cooking) and cooked skinless ?????). For me, it's a pain in the tush!

How to you keep track? Do you all really keep to the numbers or just go by feeling and appetite.

In his book, Mark talks about listening to your body but then goes on explaining how much protein and getting calories.....

I'm just curious to know how you guys and gals are doing it. I'm thinking of just writing everything down and then seeing a nutritionist to see if I'm on track.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Marc from Quebec.

Izzylu is offline Senior Member
    I haven't been doing this much longer than you but I just eat when I'm hungry. As much as I want of the good items. What I enjoy most about this program is NOT writing things down and figuring everything out. Was a weight watcher off and on and the logging became compulsive for me! I would probably have faster results if I figured all of that out but, I'm telling you, the joy from not doing that and still seeing results is unbelievable!
    Strong is the new Skinny!

lizch is offline Senior Member
    I hardly ever track these days (maybe twice since starting on Primal in July) but I used to be a hard-core nutrition tracker before Primal, and I still prefer Lifeform over any web-based tracker. It's fast, easy to customize, and the search algorithm is the best I've found on any product anywhere.

http://www.lifeform.com/

Be wary of relying on a nutritionist. Most are heavily rooted in "whole grains are optimal, saturated fat is evil" so are likely to completely derail you.
    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    i never track any more, but i did for a while, so i have a pretty good idea of what i'm taking in. with fitday, i just pored over all the options for a while until i found what i was looking for. then, after the first time you do that you can always find something you've logged before in the 'recent foods' category. since most of what you eat will probably be repeated again and again, this will save you a bunch of time

Izzylu is offline Senior Member
    I'm going to check that out. I have resistance to logging. If my boyfriend, who cooks a lot, sees my food scale come out of hiding, I swear, he'll leave me! Ha ha.
    Strong is the new Skinny!

Noctiluca is offline Senior Member
    I like tracking my on occasion. (right now I'm tracking while I go whole 30, mostly because I'm really trying to track my carbs while I do it) But fitday drove me nuts too. I use sparkpeople.com right now. It has the same crappy search engine but the site layout is more useful for me and I can add recipes easily and such. I find it a LITTLE better but it's still pretty annoying at times.

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by darkjr View Post
    I've been trying to use the fitday software
    Fitday is extremely unreliable both due to database inaccuracies and faults in their algorithim.

dailyburn, nutritiondata.self.com and a few others are better sources.

K

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

liza is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cillakat View Post
    Fitday is extremely unreliable both due to database inaccuracies and faults in their algorithim.

dailyburn, nutritiondata.self.com and a few others are better sources.

K
    I've read several of your posts saying that fitday is unreliable and inaccurate. What are the database inaccuracies and faults in their algorithim that you've observed?

I've found that for me, fitday is the easiest of the trackers to use, but have really wondered about how good their database is, so I'd appreciate hearing the details of what you know.

Thanks.

TigerLily is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    No tracking. I go by what my body tells me. She's got a lot to say.
    "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates