Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nauseous feeling after not eating for a length of time? page

Unamused Mouse is offline Senior Member

Nauseous feeling after not eating for a length of time?

Shop Now
    This happens to me every so often. For example, I've been up since 4am (went to bed at 1am) and a few minutes ago I felt really crappy, like my stomach wanted to empty itself. Oddly enough, I was checking out a video of Zumba when it came over me.

I haven't eaten anything unusual for dinner and didn't have a snack after dinner (was happily full on steak, bbq'd zucchini and red pepper...mmm). I've had this same ill feeling after waking up in the morning before, too. Anyone have an explanation for what causes this feeling?

Edit: The feeling goes away within a couple of minutes and then I'm fine. So weird!!
    Last edited by Unamused Mouse; 11-14-2010 at 03:07 AM. Reason: Adding add'l info

bUMbLeB is offline Senior Member
    So you're on 3 hrs sleep, and wondering why you're feeling crappy???

Dammit people, sleep is very low carb. Moar vitamin zzzz!

Haha...nooooo, it doesn't just happen when I get few zzzs, it happens randomly. I was just setting the scene lol

racingsnake is offline Senior Member
    Zumba allergy? I got motion sick the other night watching Cloverfield with its jumpy video style. I guess you get this feeling when you're not watching video though Ditto on the sleep thing though - poss fleeting low blood sugar?

My first Zumba experience, so you may be on to something! LOL

I did have a couple of rum n' cokes last night (at home)...though this fleeting nausea has occurred after not drinking alcohol as well. I used to randomly experience it in the morning as I was getting ready for work or school (maybe cause I dreaded going? lol).

Adrianne is offline Senior Member
    In the book Lights Out: Sleep, Sugar, and Survival, the author talks about how sleep is necessary for the flora in your gut. So when you're sleep deprived (the author says 9.5 hours or more per night are necessary) you're actually making yourself ill because you're stressing out your flora/immune system. This book is fascinating. I didn't so much as read it as...devour it. haha

The author convincingly makes the case that sleep is more important than just about anything else in life.

Debbie is offline Senior Member
    I find that fatigue and dehydration make me feel nauseous.

Thanks for all the replies. I really value sleep (I really despise having to be woken up by an alarm), though I certainly don't get 9.5 hours a day - that seems like a lot! I've had a couple of crappy sleeps this week so maybe that's been a contributing factor. Next time it happens I'll try to see if there's a similar pattern.

NutMeg is offline Senior Member
    I get that sometimes too, I usually associate it with low blood sugar.

Meadow is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    I get this on a rare occasion, for me usually it is when I have been eating too many carbs for a few days or week and then cut back. I seem to get hypoglycemia symptoms fairly easy if I increase my carbs, and nausea is not a usual one for me, but there are rare times it kicks in for me. If I stick to my low carb guns for a few days it usually fades, I just have to eaten often for the transition.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast