Thread: Peru contacts unknown Amazon tribe - aka Grok lives!.. maybe :) page

Misabi is online now Senior Member

Peru contacts unknown Amazon tribe - aka Grok lives!.. maybe :)

Shop Now
    Peruvian authorities have presented video footage of a previously uncontacted Amazonian tribe.

The footage was taken in the Kugapakori Nahua Nanti reserve in the country's southeast by members of the government-run National Institute of Development of Andean, Amazonian and Afro-Peruvians (Indepa).

They saw the indigenous group while monitoring area checkpoints that have been installed to prevent entry of unauthorised persons, specifically illegal loggers.

The video - which was presentation at the National Museum and viewed by various government representatives - shows indigenous tribes interacting with Indepa workers.

It also shows a series of rustic huts made from palm leaves and cane that were discovered in August 2009.

Indepa president, Mayta Capac Alatrista, explained how they had been able to gain an insight into their unknown way of life.

"With work that has been done from the five monitoring posts in the Kugapakori Nahua Nanti reserve, we have been able to find and casually meet with voluntarily isolated populations or initiate first contact. We suppose this contact has been made because they went down to the streams in search of food because they are nomads.

"We have photographic record and have even been able to interact with them to see how they go about their daily lives. We have been able to bring them some tools that they have used to hunt, to fish and cook," said Capac Alatrista.

A small exhibition of tools, arrows and handmade pottery, along with skeletons of hunted animals, was also on display.
    http://uk.news.yahoo.com/4/20101113/...e-15af341.html

StoneAgeQueen is offline Senior Member
    Absolutely amazing. Thank you for sharing.
    Type 1 diabetic for 25 years.
    Low carb for 7 years, LC Primal for 2.5 of those.
    Fruit and starch free.
    Total weight loss- 3 stone/42 pounds. Current weight = 121 pounds. Height 5'5
    I take Zymessence systemic enzymes.

breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    Poor things - I do hope contact with "civilization" won't destroy their culture and their health.

But fascinating - what, I wonder, will we learn from them?

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    If you like this stuff, I highly recommend you read "Don't Sleep, There Are Snakes" about linguistics, minimally contacted Amazonian peoples, and all kinds of other interesting stuff. It's sort of a book about linguistics, but not really. Mainly it's the tale of a missionary who dropped himself and his family into this seriously minimally contacted tribe, whose language no one had ever really learned, and how it utterly changed his conception of culture, religion, and life.

lizch is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by breadsauce View Post
    Poor things - I do hope contact with "civilization" won't destroy their culture and their health.
    That was exactly my reaction too. Has "discovering" people EVER been a good thing for the people who were discovered?
    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

kcult is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by breadsauce View Post
    My sentiments exactly.

graciel is offline Junior Member
    You might find this paper interesting: http://iopscience.iop.org/1748-9326/2/4/045005/fulltext

Jennifer

Misabi is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneAgeQueen View Post
    Absolutely amazing. Thank you for sharing.
    You're welcome

stryker902 is offline Junior Member
    I hope they leave these people alone.
    Why did they have to give them tools to hunt?
    obviously they have been doing just fine without them.
    next thing you know someones gonna want to put up a mcdonalds so the poor things
    dont have to go find their food.
    makes me angry. LEAVE THEM BE

kcult is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by stryker902 View Post
    I hope they leave these people alone.
    Why did they have to give them tools to hunt?
    obviously they have been doing just fine without them.
    next thing you know someones gonna want to put up a mcdonalds so the poor things
    dont have to go find their food.
    makes me angry. LEAVE THEM BE
    This didn't rhyme at all.