Thread: Fats page

TARNIP is offline Senior Member

Fats

Shop Now
    This is something that has been on my mind for quite a while as I currently have about 30-40 kg's to lose (66-88 pounds). I know that Primal eating says ok to fats as they are essential for good health and bodies to function which I agree with, my question is that should someone who has as much weight to lose as I do be chowing down the fats or holding off and eating leaner proteins until I reach my desired 'healthy' weight until I start consuming more fats as even though they are good for you they are still very calorific? I am assuming that most primal people are already in a healthy weight range so swapping carbs for fats shouldn't be too much of a problem for them as they don't have to be using up already existing fat stores to lose weight.

I am currently on a program which is a little similar (hunter-gatherer style). It has 3 phases, first is a 3 day detox of lean proteins (females can have 100g weight of lean protein for breakfast,lunch,dinner and 50g-100g weight of protein for 3 x snacks daily or if hungry can snack every hour). The purpose of this is to use up carb stores.

Phase 2 is weightloss phase - you can have 1 starchy carb serving for breakky (can be fruit/yoghurt/toast/cereal) but you MUST have with a protein serve. Lunches and dinners are 100g weight of lean protein with fibrous veggies/salads. All snacks are to be protein only and are limited to 50g-100g weighted portions.

Phase 3 is maintenance and fats can be re-introduced, such as avocado, nuts etc as well as an extra carb serve for lunch (as well as carb serve for brekky).

The only exercise recommended is walking (10,000 steps per day is the goal).

This does make some sense, especially if you are really obese to start with as I tend to think that I have enough fat that I need to burn up on my body now without ingesting more. While I don't think the fat I eat will turn to actual fat, I do believe that if my daily calories are still too high, this will cause me to not be able to lose anything at all as my body will burn what it's eating instead of what is already stored. Any thoughts on this would be most appreciated

Beefsister is offline Senior Member
    Stay under 20 carbs a day, and eat all the fat you want. This works for most people, though if you're unlucky and have a slow metabolism, you may have to count calories. But seeing as you have quite a bit of weight to lose, I don't think the calories will matter too much. If you continue to have trouble losing, try dropping dairy. That causes weight gain in many. And you should probably take some Vit D supplements.

Good luck!
    Remember, you are unique just like everybody else.

NutMeg is offline Senior Member
    I never worried about my fat intake. I keep my carbs at 10-20% of my calories and I don't count calories. I do track calories and naturally eat between 1700-2200 a day with 50-70% of my calories coming from fats.

You can see how this system worked for me in the link in my siggy, "My Bodyfat Make Over". I started with about 60-70 pounds to lose. So far I have lost about 40 in a little over a year. I did have a bit of a backslide over the summer when we were living in hotels for June, July and some of August and traveling across country. Yeah, I was NOT eating primal then and although I only gained about 10 pounds back, it took a while to get into the swing of things and start losing again.

emmie is offline Senior Member
    I've lost quite a bit of weight of the past few years (c. 180 lbs) with generic low carb and, later, primal. However, I don't eat a very high fat diet; I'd describe it as 'moderate.' This is mainly because I need to seriously restrict calories in order to lose because of my very slow metabolism due to age and hypothyroid.

Several years ago, I had a mysterious GI problem ('mysterious' because despite a multitude of tests, my doctors were never able to form a definite diagnosis), and the only relief was eating low fat. So I ate low carb/ low fat for at least a year, and I had no problem with either weight loss or general health. Eating that way healed my digestive issues somewhat, but I still can't tolerate too much fat. I mainly get my fat from what's in my meat and fish (wild salmon, tuna), along with the butter and EVOO that I use to make omelets and dress veggies. My 'treats' are almond butter and unsweetened chocolate, both are fat-intensive, so I have them sparingly. Along the way, I gave up dairy, especially because I wanted to avoid all those 'low fat' versions.

I think my food choices are primal. How much fat a person needs/can tolerate is, I believe, very individual.

TARNIP is offline Senior Member
    Thankyou all for your imput. I have previously done Atkins but lost pretty much nothing even though I stuck to induction for and extra week or two.

I have slow thyroid function which does in turn lower my metabolic rate so i think that lower-moderate fat intake may be best for me simply because I won't burn through it as fast as others might. I have had digestive issues for years but have never put it down to fats but maybe that has been my problem all along? The only fats I would eat would be olive oil, a tsp or two of coconut oil to cook eggs in and a liquid flax oil supplement twice daily (about 2 tsp - 1 tablespoon). Hopefully this would be enough. The program I am going to be following really limits dairy to cottage cheese and small amounts of milk in tea/coffee. Dairy is the hardest food group I find to give up

Odar is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by emmie View Post
    I've lost quite a bit of weight of the past few years (c. 180 lbs) with generic low carb and, later, primal. However, I don't eat a very high fat diet; I'd describe it as 'moderate.' This is mainly because I need to seriously restrict calories in order to lose because of my very slow metabolism due to age and hypothyroid.

Several years ago, I had a mysterious GI problem ('mysterious' because despite a multitude of tests, my doctors were never able to form a definite diagnosis), and the only relief was eating low fat. So I ate low carb/ low fat for at least a year, and I had no problem with either weight loss or general health. Eating that way healed my digestive issues somewhat, but I still can't tolerate too much fat. I mainly get my fat from what's in my meat and fish (wild salmon, tuna), along with the butter and EVOO that I use to make omelets and dress veggies. My 'treats' are almond butter and unsweetened chocolate, both are fat-intensive, so I have them sparingly. Along the way, I gave up dairy, especially because I wanted to avoid all those 'low fat' versions.

I think my food choices are primal. How much fat a person needs/can tolerate is, I believe, very individual.

So approximately what is your calorie intake to reduce weight? I too must have a very slow metabolism and coupled with hypothyrodism and type 2 diabetes - am thinking I can't afford to eat anything anymore