Thread: How much fish oil to to take? page

pantrybites is offline Member

Question How much fish oil to to take?

Shop Now
    Just read Robb Wolf's Paleo Solution. He recommends a dose of 1 gram per 10 pounds of body weight for those who need extra help or have not previously taken fish oil. Keen to give it a go but it seems like an awful high amount.

Anyone else have experience with this kind of dosage? It's also very expensive to go this route so would love to know if it's worth it.

www.pantrybites.com
    Real Good Primal Food

Debbie is offline Senior Member
    I'm watching, too.

I had no problems giving away my grain-based foods. I rarely wanted them, which tells me that something primal in me knew they weren't good for me.

I have a real mental block against supplements. I mean, until I had cancer, I had a real issue with taking my Synthroid daily. I can't say I'm some kind of purist because I'm experimenting with hard cider at the moment and I like it! Hell ... if it wasn't against the law, I might even grow and smoke my own pot. *eye roll* Okay. That might have been an exaggeration.

In any event ... I'm jumping on the Vit D and calcium supplement bandwagon tomorrow. I want to get it down pat, and then omega 3's are next.

Damn. I don't know why pills are so hard for me. I can swallow them; that's not the problem. They just seem so unnatural. So CW. I'm laid back, on the whole, yet innately rebellious against anything that smacks of convention ... so anything that is mainstream tends to get my back up.

paleo_rob is offline Senior Member
    Super Quick Answer:

Buy fishoil with more DHA/EPA

Have about 2-3g total of Fishoil per day (check how much fishoil per capsule you take just because its a 1g capsule doesnt mean theres 1g of Omega3 in it), have more if you eat grain-fed beef, or have eaten out and dont know what oil has been used. Have less if you have been eating fatty wild caught salmon.

Recommendation: Now Foods DHA500.

peril is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pantrybites View Post
    Just read Robb Wolf's Paleo Solution. He recommends a dose of 1 gram per 10 pounds of body weight for those who need extra help or have not previously taken fish oil. Keen to give it a go but it seems like an awful high amount.

Anyone else have experience with this kind of dosage? It's also very expensive to go this route so would love to know if it's worth it.
    No experience with that dosage and I don't recall any science behind Wolf's recommendation. Read widely then decide
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

racingsnake is offline Senior Member
    Read widely then decide
    +1
    Based on a few recent articles about fish oil I now only take 2g on any day that doesn't contain real oily fish, which for me is rare. I've read Robb's book too, and don't go along with his high recommendation.

pantrybites is offline Member
    Awesome. Thanks for everyone's input.

www.pantrybites.com
    Real Good Primal Food

K.ROB is offline Senior Member
    I think he has gone back on this a little. Now i think he says this is the dosage for when you are starting out eating Paleo.