Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Too Much Fat page

shoreline is offline Member

Too Much Fat

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I've been doing pretty well following the Paleo lifestyle. I would say my food is about 90% paleo now. The other night I had marinated beef ribs and the following heartburn was terrible. I did some research on the web and it said persons suffering heartburn should not eat fatty meat, preferably no meat at all. Thoughts?

barryman9000 is offline Senior Member
    Highly doubtful - I've never even heard that fat or meat can cause heartburn. What did you marinate the beef in?

I haven't dealt with heartburn in the least since going Primal, so it's tough to remember what caused it for me. As I recall it was fried foods and citrus.

shoreline is offline Member
    To my knowledge red meat eating is one of the major causes of heartburn. In fact I have never read an article which promotes the eating of red meat when one has heeartburn, acid reglux, GERD etc
    The ribs were already cooked and marinated. Probably a standard mardinade like
    •1/4 cup lemon juice
    •1/4 cup white vinegar
    •1/4 cup olive oil
    •3 tablespoons honey
    •4 cloves garlic crushed
    •1 teaspoon cayenne
    •1 teaspoon ground black pepper

Adrianne is offline Senior Member
    I never get heartburn from red meat. I did, however, get heartburn when I thought it would be cute to power down whipping cream and coconut oil. I wasn't even a dairy drinker previously and thought it would be interesting to see what it did to me. haha

NutMeg is offline Senior Member
    Commercially prepared probably also contained some wheat, soy and MSG.

How late did you eat it? Or I should ask how soon before going to bed, that is often a trigger for heartburn, eating too soon before getting vertical.

I agree that most things for heartburn and GERD say don't eat red meat, but they also don't tell you to stop eating grains. The majority of people with those issues never get better and end up on higher and higher doses of meds. I would not believe any CW site that tells you what to eat to prevent heartburn.

Bushrat is offline Senior Member
    What NutMeg said. The same people who tell you red meat causes heart burn are probably the same who believe red meat causes colon cancer and staurated fat makes you fat.

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    Some digestive enzyme will help take care of heartburn. Just need a little more acid in your stomach to digest the food a bit more quickly.

tarek is offline Senior Member
    I've recommended this in a few other threads, but look into getting DGL. It's absolutely amazing for heartburn (and any sort of digestive upset, for that matter). Also, try eating or drinking some sort of fermented food with your red meat. Kombucha works wonders for me.

As others have said, be sure to not eat too soon before bed. In addition to this, chew your food thoroughly. Eat slowly. Pace yourself between different types of food (if you're moving from meat to fruit, for example, give it a minute). Don't drink water or juice while you eat.

StoneAgeQueen is offline Senior Member
    The marinade probably contained MSG, wheat, soybean oil, and goodness knows what else. Because you've been paleo for quite some time, when you eat any of these ingredients you're going to get a worse reaction than you did before. Take it from someone who suffers bad heartburn when I eat gluten or MSG. The thing about fatty meat causing heartburn is absolute shitty nonsense, like the rest of CW.
    Type 1 diabetic for 25 years.
    Low carb for 7 years, LC Primal for 2.5 of those.
    Fruit and starch free.
    Total weight loss- 3 stone/42 pounds. Current weight = 121 pounds. Height 5'5
    I take Zymessence systemic enzymes.

barryman9000 is offline Senior Member
    I would suspect the Cayenne pepper, lemon juice or some of the "hidden" ingredients others have posted. Just searching online really quick I rarely see CW sites say meat causes heartburn.

Haha, some sites list
    - "Fatty foods, like pizza"
    - "Meat - chicken wings"
    - High fat butter Cookies
    - Vegetable: French fries!

Oh CW... you're so pervasive.
    Last edited by barryman9000; 11-14-2010 at 07:41 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast