Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: "It's the Calories, not the Carbs" and "The Context of Calories"

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    817

    "It's the Calories, not the Carbs" and "The Context of Calories"


  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Northern NJ
    Posts
    5,718
    Also, this thread didn't get enough play back when it was posted but I think Tim's advice (first post) is very valid and some people can still benefit from it. It's been a while but I think he'd still stand by it:

    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...-I-just-did%29

    No need to bump it by replying, but give it a read and discuss here if needed.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Perth, Australia
    Posts
    2,528
    Quote Originally Posted by iniQuity View Post
    Also, this thread didn't get enough play back when it was posted but I think Tim's advice (first post) is very valid and some people can still benefit from it. It's been a while but I think he'd still stand by it:

    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...-I-just-did%29

    No need to bump it by replying, but give it a read and discuss here if needed.
    I love this post. I have just made a commitment to stop measuring and counting cals and macro ratios and this provides me with the validation I needed. Thanks for linking to it

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    817
    Quote Originally Posted by NourishedEm View Post
    I love this post. I have just made a commitment to stop measuring and counting cals and macro ratios and this provides me with the validation I needed. Thanks for linking to it
    Calorie counting and managing macros is so tedious. I was caught up in that way of fat loss for so long that I know the nutritional data on serving sizes of a whole catalogue of foods. It's sad.

    I've since given up calorie counting and macro managing. I structure my meals so that I start with veggies, add some protein, add some fat and sometimes fruit. If the scale goes up and I don't want it to, I move more or eat less.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Northern Ireland
    Posts
    1,215
    If people think it's the calories and not the carbs, then maybe they should try an experiment. On week 1 eat 2000 calories worth of bread. On Week 2, eat 2000 worth of fat. Measure weight gain/loss for both periods.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    817
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneAgeQueen View Post
    If people think it's the calories and not the carbs, then maybe they should try an experiment. On week 1 eat 2000 calories worth of bread. On Week 2, eat 2000 worth of fat. Measure weight gain/loss for both periods.
    I haven't done that exact experiment, but I have compared low carb-high fat-moderate protein dieting with high carb-low fat-moderate protein diet at 1300 calories. I did both for 6 weeks each. Exercise amounts were the same. I can tell you that weight loss was the exact same BUT I felt much better on the low carb high fat moderate protein because I rarely felt hungry.

    Also, I believe the "Twinkie Diet" proves that it's not just what you eat but also how much you eat - even for those with metabolic/hormonal issues

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Posts
    5,394
    Quote Originally Posted by NDF View Post
    I haven't done that exact experiment, but I have compared low carb-high fat-moderate protein dieting with high carb-low fat-moderate protein diet at 1300 calories. I did both for 6 weeks each. Exercise amounts were the same. I can tell you that weight loss was the exact same BUT I felt much better on the low carb high fat moderate protein because I rarely felt hungry.
    THIS is the key.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Mississippi
    Posts
    2,790
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneAgeQueen View Post
    If people think it's the calories and not the carbs, then maybe they should try an experiment. On week 1 eat 2000 calories worth of bread. On Week 2, eat 2000 worth of fat. Measure weight gain/loss for both periods.

    not bread, but i have done the 'experiment' you suggest with primal... 2500 calories a day of very very low carb primal vs 2500 calories of starchy primal... i gain on the high fat primal and lost on the lower fat primal...so i have assured myself its not the carbs or the calories...its something though...??

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,680
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneAgeQueen View Post
    If people think it's the calories and not the carbs, then maybe they should try an experiment. On week 1 eat 2000 calories worth of bread. On Week 2, eat 2000 worth of fat. Measure weight gain/loss for both periods.
    Ancel keys performed a starvation diet shortly after ww2 where young men spent some weeks eating 1800 cals a day of high carb crap. They looked like they had just come out of a concentration camp at the end.

    John Yudkin repeated the study many years later, except he used a meat and vegetables based diet and the participants did not end up looking like scarecrows but lean and muscled.

    If I can find the links to the studies I'll post them.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,680
    A quick search returned a hit to Dr Eades talking about the two studies:

    http://www.fourhourworkweek.com/blog...ays-a-calorie/

    And I was wrong, they were eating just under 1600 calories a day, not 1800.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •