Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "It's the Calories, not the Carbs" and "The Context of Calories" page

NDF
    NDF is offline Senior Member

"It's the Calories, not the Carbs" and "The Context of Calories"

Shop Now

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Also, this thread didn't get enough play back when it was posted but I think Tim's advice (first post) is very valid and some people can still benefit from it. It's been a while but I think he'd still stand by it:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...-I-just-did%29

No need to bump it by replying, but give it a read and discuss here if needed.

NourishedEm is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by iniQuity View Post
    Also, this thread didn't get enough play back when it was posted but I think Tim's advice (first post) is very valid and some people can still benefit from it. It's been a while but I think he'd still stand by it:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...-I-just-did%29

No need to bump it by replying, but give it a read and discuss here if needed.
    I love this post. I have just made a commitment to stop measuring and counting cals and macro ratios and this provides me with the validation I needed. Thanks for linking to it

StoneAgeQueen is offline Senior Member
    If people think it's the calories and not the carbs, then maybe they should try an experiment. On week 1 eat 2000 calories worth of bread. On Week 2, eat 2000 worth of fat. Measure weight gain/loss for both periods.

NDF
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneAgeQueen View Post
    If people think it's the calories and not the carbs, then maybe they should try an experiment. On week 1 eat 2000 calories worth of bread. On Week 2, eat 2000 worth of fat. Measure weight gain/loss for both periods.
    I haven't done that exact experiment, but I have compared low carb-high fat-moderate protein dieting with high carb-low fat-moderate protein diet at 1300 calories. I did both for 6 weeks each. Exercise amounts were the same. I can tell you that weight loss was the exact same BUT I felt much better on the low carb high fat moderate protein because I rarely felt hungry.

Also, I believe the "Twinkie Diet" proves that it's not just what you eat but also how much you eat - even for those with metabolic/hormonal issues

StoneAgeQueen is offline Senior Member
    I remember trying a really low fat diet years ago when I was much bigger than I am now, I ate no fat at all and about six slices of bread a day- I actually did not lose one single pound and I felt dreadful. As soon as i went on Atkins it all came off in a really short space of time.

NDF
    I remember trying a really low fat diet years ago when I was much bigger than I am now, I ate no fat at all and about six slices of bread a day- I actually did not lose one single pound and I felt dreadful. As soon as i went on Atkins it all came off in a really short space of time.
    Ugh, that sounds horrific. You're diabetic so your results might not be similar in someone without metabolic troubles. I know before I was diagnoised with PCOS, I could diet any which way and drop weight. After PCOS, no such luck.

NDF
    Quote Originally Posted by NourishedEm View Post
    I love this post. I have just made a commitment to stop measuring and counting cals and macro ratios and this provides me with the validation I needed. Thanks for linking to it
    Calorie counting and managing macros is so tedious. I was caught up in that way of fat loss for so long that I know the nutritional data on serving sizes of a whole catalogue of foods. It's sad.

I've since given up calorie counting and macro managing. I structure my meals so that I start with veggies, add some protein, add some fat and sometimes fruit. If the scale goes up and I don't want it to, I move more or eat less.

slowcooker is offline Senior Member
    Hold on a second.. was Mark recommending legumes in that first post?

MalPaz is offline Senior Member

not bread, but i have done the 'experiment' you suggest with primal... 2500 calories a day of very very low carb primal vs 2500 calories of starchy primal... i gain on the high fat primal and lost on the lower fat primal...so i have assured myself its not the carbs or the calories...its something though...??

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast