Thread: Kefir question ... page

echoyjeff222 is offline Senior Member

Kefir question ...

Hi, everyone. I haven't been on lately because of school and such ... I had a quick question about kefir though.

We're about to start making kefir on our own with full fat milk. The problem is, I think that milk in general has had an effect on my acne. However, the kefir I've been buying from the store isn't really affecting it at all (it's probably helping it from what I've heard).

Will the kefir that I make at home with the full fat milk cause more effect on acne than the one I buy from the store? Thanks for any input!
    feel free to take a look at my journal!

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...primal-journal!

I am not sure if home Kefir will effect your acne differently than store kefir, but have you considered making water kefir? Dairy products also give me acne, and I drink/make water kefir instead - it has all the same probiotic goodness of milk kefir, and the sugar content is minimal seeing as the bacteria gobbles it up ~ Just a suggestion

echoyjeff222 is offline Senior Member
    Hmm interesting! How do you make it? Should I add some other ingredients to the water so that it isn't so plain? Or will it turn out the same texture as if I made it with milk, so that I could add other things on top of it afterwards?
    feel free to take a look at my journal!

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...primal-journal!

There are 2 different types of kefir grains - one for milk as you know, and one specifically for water - so get a hold of the water ones and then add as much sugar to the water as there are grains (so if you got 1 cup of grains, add 1 cup of sugar)

Then add half a lemon (home grown/pesticide free) and then either some slices of ginger, pear, apple, etc......There are lots of videos on youtube with people posting tips for flavouring water kefir! Then once the sugar is dissolved in the water, along with the grains and slices of fruit, I just leave it on my kitchen countertop for 2 days and let it bubble away. Then I strain it, squeeze out the lemon that was in there into the drink, chill and enjoy! It totally helps my IBS issues too.

Anyhoo this is how I do it, I am by no means a seasoned kefir grower so maybe some other experts can chime in? I got my grains from my mother in law and they seem to be doing their job well!

kkcarlton is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by primarilyprimal View Post
    I am not sure if home Kefir will effect your acne differently than store kefir, but have you considered making water kefir? Dairy products also give me acne, and I drink/make water kefir instead - it has all the same probiotic goodness of milk kefir, and the sugar content is minimal seeing as the bacteria gobbles it up ~ Just a suggestion
    Well, that is not entirely true. Water kefir grains have different strains of bacteria and yeast than milk kefir grains. So while you are getting good probiotics from either one, you are getting different strains.

Mainer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kkcarlton View Post
    Well, that is not entirely true. Water kefir grains have different strains of bacteria and yeast than milk kefir grains. So while you are getting good probiotics from either one, you are getting different strains.
    I would agree with this statement as well. We have been making milk and water kefir for two years now, good stuff!
    You'll never see the light if you're in someone else's shadow, or said another way, life is like a dog sled team, if you're not the lead dog, the scenery never changes

Interesting! I didn't know that milk and water kefir contain different strains of bacteria. Have any kefir drinkers noticed any changes/obvious health benefits since starting to consume kefir? I would say that it helped my IBS immensely, and coincidentally I lost a few pounds when I introduced it into my diet. Although this could have been due to some other factor, but interesting nonetheless

Mainer is offline Senior Member
    You will notice your hair feels healthier, skin looks better, much more clear, and it helps with digestion, elimination, yada, yada, yada. It usually takes a couple of weeks and is very subtle, don't expect a huge a-ha moment to happen.
    You'll never see the light if you're in someone else's shadow, or said another way, life is like a dog sled team, if you're not the lead dog, the scenery never changes

Debbie is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    WOW! I never heard of water kefir! I'm a bit wary of all that sugar but I'm not thrilled about taking probiotic pills, either. And, as of tomorrow, I will be dairy free. Thank you so much, all of you, for what you've shared. I will have to research this. =)