Thread: Any Bodybuilders/Fitness/Figure athletes on Primal? page

jtinjum is offline Junior Member

Any Bodybuilders/Fitness/Figure athletes on Primal?

Primal Fuel
    Brand new to PB and wondering how to transition from strict diet of whole grains incorporated into every meal (6 meals/day). I am on board, just don't know how to do it without sacrificing muscle...what to replace all those meals of oats, brown rice, and sweet potato with! Also...how does heavy weight lifting fit into the primal lifestyle (I read the book and the focus seems more towards lifestyle fitness). Thanks!

Daemonized is offline Senior Member
    There of a lot of us on here that lift weights and a primal diet and lifestyle can work very well for a lifter. Lift heaving things is one of the primal laws of course. If you want more information on not eating as many times a day check out leangains.com. Martin has a lot of information on that. Of your list sweet potatoes don't need to be replaced at all. I use those for my carb refeeds when I do them.

Brittany Benedetto is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jtinjum View Post
    Brand new to PB and wondering how to transition from strict diet of whole grains incorporated into every meal (6 meals/day). I am on board, just don't know how to do it without sacrificing muscle...what to replace all those meals of oats, brown rice, and sweet potato with! Also...how does heavy weight lifting fit into the primal lifestyle (I read the book and the focus seems more towards lifestyle fitness). Thanks!
    I competed in Figure Competitions for 3 years... and have now been eating Paleo for about 3 months. I made the transition, and it is quite simple. As a figure competitor, I was already programmed to eat super clean, and my body has been very happy replacing oatmeal and brown rice with extra fats. This way of eating, believe it or not, is much more liberating. I don't have to scarf down tilapia every second of my day. I have not lost any muscle... still strong and enjoying Cross Fit now.

Rud3d0g is offline Senior Member
    If you really need the higher carbs I would go with fruit over grains. While I'm more of a power lifter than a body builder, I find that cutting out grains had no effect on my totals - which is fraggin amazing since I dropped 60+ lbs with IF and primal/paleo diet over 6 months.
    "First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do" - Epictetus

Stevoreo is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    best advice is also to check out leangains.com, Martins info is on point and many competitive bodybuilders are starting to take his approach with a lot of success....He has the science behind any question you have