Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How do you handle dinners at other people's houses? page

betty74 is offline Senior Member

How do you handle dinners at other people's houses?

My husband and I were invited to some friend's house for dinner. I didn't want to refuse because of food, but I am worried. We don't know them very well and I would feel rude saying I don't eat such and such. So have do most of you handle that?

Jenny is offline Senior Member
    Hmm. Two options:
    1) Let them know ahead of time that you have dietary restrictions (no gluten) without getting into why.
    2) Just eat it and call it part of your 20%.

Some people can get away with option #2 a lot more easily than others, though!

BarbeyGirl is offline Senior Member
    I don't do much social eating, so on the rare occasion that I do, I just suck it up, try to eat mostly the paleo-friendly stuff, and don't stress about it.

During this Whole 30 month, I'd probably decline the invitation unless it was from someone (like my mom) who I wouldn't mind asking to have a paleo option.
    Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

Quote Originally Posted by BarbeyGirl View Post
    I don't do much social eating, so on the rare occasion that I do, I just suck it up, try to eat mostly the paleo-friendly stuff, and don't stress about it.

During this Whole 30 month, I'd probably decline the invitation unless it was from someone (like my mom) who I wouldn't mind asking to have a paleo option.
    The Whole30 is the problem. I am trying to do that and I was already derailed because of a weekend trip to friends where eating was totally out of my control. I already know that gluten is an issue and I suspect dairy is also. Trying to get rid of it so I can determine for sure. I have only made it 5 days so far both times.

hmmm.... We already accepted the invite. I guess I will make the best of it and hope there is food I can eat without gluten or dairy.

NutMeg is offline Senior Member
    Eat before you go, and while you are there eat only primal friendly foods. Hopefully they have a salad at least. If they question you tell them you are working on figuring out if you have food intolerances so you have to be careful with what you eat. Which is true, and it puts a medical spin on it which is difficult to argue with.

Styrofoam Jones is offline Senior Member
    Eat around the non-primal stuff. If they try to force it on you or question you, make it sound like you have a medical condition. Tell them that grains give you "issues" and leave it at that. Make it "digestive issues" and they're sure to drop it and go along. That's what I do.

When I'm eating over at a friend's place I'll get a little loose with the rules and eat something with dairy or something starchy / sugary if they've made it, but I try to avoid gluten at all costs.

Griff is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by betty74 View Post
    My husband and I were invited to some friend's house for dinner. I didn't want to refuse because of food, but I am worried. We don't know them very well and I would feel rude saying I don't eat such and such. So have do most of you handle that?
    Tell them you're allergic to wheat and gluten. It's not even a lie; most Americans are, and just don't know it.
    Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

Kyle46N is offline Senior Member
    No need to lie about it. Just eat smaller portions of the non primal food. Be polite, and chalk it up to the 20%. Remember that it's a cumulative thing. A few grains in a situation like this aren't going to hurt your goals.

No, I know in the long run it will be fine. I am just frustrated because I can't seem to get past the 5 day point so I can even determine if dairy is a problem. I am not worried about the gluten so much as I do know that is causing issues. Nothing huge. I will just eat and get back to it the next day. It is frustrating also because everytime I eat gluten I am 3-4 lbs. heavier the next day. YUCK!

New Renaissance is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    IN social situations, what works for me may be different for you, but what I usually do is take accept a small portion of everything. I try to keep the non primal items to a portion size smaller than the size of the palm of your hand. Eat a bite or two, but don't eat it all. Feel free to eat as much of the primal items as necessary. It does help to eat a good healthy bit of something before you go.

Some folks get offended if you don't eat what they prepared for you, so by having it on your plate, you fulfill the obligation as a gracious guest.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast