Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: gelatin page

MalPaz is offline Senior Member

gelatin

Shop Now
    i did a search but my question wasnt found....

would gelatin be able to displace store bought marrow or close to the bone meat?? i ask b/c i have a thing against the really high fat store bought meat. i have plenty of grassfed tallow to go around the world. i know there is good qualities to eating collagen/gelatin esp for bone health(which i need more of)

any opinions?

and if i use gelatin...whatta i do with it?

tangentrider is offline Senior Member
    I use gelatin to thicken stock, not only for the nutritional benefits and luscious mouthfeel, but because it gels in the frig and makes for spill-free transport in my lunch box.
    Started PB late 2008, lost 50 lbs by late 2009. Have been plateaued, but that thing may just be biting the dust: more on that later.

hmm so you just sprinkle it in stock? ill try. i want to use it for its joint benefits. how much do you use? has anyone had experience with using gelatin for bones & joints?

Quote Originally Posted by MalPaz View Post
    hmm so you just sprinkle it in stock? ill try. i want to use it for its joint benefits. how much do you use? has anyone had experience with using gelatin for bones & joints?
    I mix it with cold water to make a thin paste and mix that in the stock. Otherwise one gets bland jello lumps.
    Started PB late 2008, lost 50 lbs by late 2009. Have been plateaued, but that thing may just be biting the dust: more on that later.

AndreaReina is offline Senior Member
    When you make stews, braises, anything slow-cooked with a bone-in cut you automatically get gelatin in them. Tough cuts like shoulder also have it, even if boneless -- the collagen inherent in active muscles renders into gelatin. Making the garlic pulled pork recipe, the refrigerated remains turned into onion jello.

ohhhhh haha i get it now thank yoU!

Yum...onion jello.

jqbancroft is offline Senior Member
    I put some gelatin in my smoothie the other day, let it sit for a second, and then put the ice in (which causes it to set faster) so it would make for a thicker smoothie. Worked well! I'm sure gelatin could be an aid in making primal desserts, too.

Melody is offline Senior Member
    Just make a chicken stock or braise a shank or shoulder and enjoy the natural gelatin.

Bushrat is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    I am thinking of using gelatin in my chilli to make it thicken, but the smoothie idea is great.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast