Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dandruff Since Starting PB page

iammysticyte is offline Member

Dandruff Since Starting PB

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hi Guys,

I went primal a little over two months ago and since then I have developed dandruff and my fingers and toes itch often. Could this be a result of vitamin/mineral deficiency? Cillakat talks about getting enough zinc, but I get plenty according to nutritionaldata.com.

I eat a strict primal diet and supplement with fish oil, a multi-vitamin and Vitamin D. I never had dandruff before, but my fingers and toes did used to itch when I was young. I used a ton of lotion to cope with it. Now, I use almost no lotion. I shower a few times a week with cold water and no shampoo or soap.

I love that PB has gotten rid of my oily skin issue, but it seems like it is making my skin a little too dry. I can now go several days between showers because my skin never gets that oily, gross feeling.

Have any of you experienced this?

thanatos is offline Senior Member
    Hate to tell you this, but dandruff is not a vitamin deficiency, it's fungus. Anti dandruff shampoo is a fungicide and it kills it off. If your fingers and toes are itchy I'd say you have it there too. Get some anti dandruff shampoo and use it. Let it sit in fir a couple of minutes. Should help your fingers too from lathering it in.

It will rinse onto your toes but you may want to get something like a powder for your feet. Put the powder in your shoes as well to kill it off in there too.

A

Right, but having enough zinc in your diet is supposed to keep the fungus at bay/kill it.

Also, the fact that I never had it before going primal is a bit disconcerting. I am curious as to what could have caused it.

thanatos is offline Senior Member
    It's just in the environment ... like fruits left on the tree will rot due to airborne yeast settling on them.

Don't know about the zinc.

shadgal is offline Senior Member
    My son has terrible dandruff and I've tried all those shampoos with no results. However, this works short term. I massage coconut oil into his scalp and leave for 30-60 mins then he shampoos out, it seems to get rid of the flakes but they do come back. Mind you he eats far too many grains and sugar so I'm sure that doesn't help. Oh and he is hormonal and going through puberty.
    Maybe try probiotics as well as something topical?

I have actually been putting in coconut oil every other day for a week. but then i don't wash it out, lol. there is a good chance that that is contributing to the flakes, now that i think about it. maybe i will try at least rinsing it out the next morning.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Have you gone without shampoo since starting PB? As much as I want to go without, I get terrible scalp problems if I don't use shampoo regularly. In fact, it is almost a year since I started using shampoo again, and even though my scalp is better, it's still not normal

Its a shame, because my hair looks much better without shampoo. Some scalps just won't tolerate no poo.

K.ROB is offline Senior Member
    I have had dandruff problems even before going primal. But I only Shampoo once a week now and it is getting a lot better. Even with this dry weather.

chickenbackside is offline Senior Member
    I actually have had the opposite experience.

I was a long time sufferer of dandruff. I've had it since I was 6 years old. After eliminating grains from my diet for 1 year, my dandruff disappeared totally at age 37.

31 years of suffering from dandruff, and poof, gone... Words can't describe the feeling of relief I have...

slacker is offline Senior Member
    My skin went through a transition after I went primal and I had breakouts, itchiness and dandruff for a month or so. I just assumed that my body ecology was changing due to the change in fats. It proved true and everything came around quickly. My skin especially is better than ever. I wouldn't worry about it. Check your D, especially.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast