Thread: Help analyzing VAP test page

Danimal is offline Member

Help analyzing VAP test

Primal Fuel
    Okay, I need some help analyzing my cholesterol results.. I asked my doc last week to get a VAP test, which he didn't know about. He freaked out at my results today and immediately wanted to get me on Lipitor. Any comments? I can't seem to distinguish what's Type A LDL in my results.. but it does say Real LDL Size Pattern A in my results. Not sure the differences between IDL-C, Real-LCL-C, etc..

Any input appreciated.

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    Lets see... Yours looks a lot like mine. Here's what I got out of mine: pattern A all the way (good), need to up the niacin because of the APOB100 count, add in strength exercise and sprints to bring the REmant LDL and a couple others down, and keep up the primal eating.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

emmie is offline Senior Member
    I had difficulty reading your VAP test because my own lab report actually showed the Pattern A/B in terms of percentages, so it was clear that my Pattern A was 100% of LDL. From your test, that seems to be true for you as well, but I can't be sure.

One thing that may have confused your doctor (especially if he's not used to VAP tests--since you requested this, not him). Although I thought my VAP results were terrific, as did my doctor who ordered the test, I was confused because there are 'warning' signs all over the test results. When I asked the doctor about this, he said, "Oh, the lab computer only reads the numbers--so since your LDL is higher than 'acceptable,' they issue the warning automatically. Of course, that's wrong because your LDL is actually healthy, so just ignore it."

Your doctor may have just been responding to the lab 'automatic' warnings--which are useless in this test but something doctors are used to taking seriously from other tests.

Do NOT take meds if you have Pattern A!!!

racingsnake is offline Senior Member
    Do NOT take meds if you have Pattern A!!!
    Or, Do not take meds!!!

Statins achieve their (paltry) gains in men who have already had heart attacks (and them alone) by reducing inflammation, not by reducing cholesterol (as I understand it).

AndreaReina is offline Senior Member
    You'll want Griff to weigh in here, but from what I understand you're pretty good, as naiadknight mentioned. LDL size pattern is A (good), Total Cholesterol/HDL is 3.98 (<4 is good, <3.5 ideal), HDL/LDL is .38 (>.3 is good, >.4 is ideal), Triglycerides/HDL is 1.39 (<2 is ideal). I understand that the LDL size pattern and Trig/HDL ratios are the more significant ones.

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    I'd be happy with those numbers. This reminds me to get tested again just for fun.

Misabi is online now Senior Member
    http://cholesterol.about.com/lw/Heal...ol-Testing.htm
    This seem to ring true from what I understand, but then I'm not expert. Can anyone else confirm how correct this info is?

Danimal is offline Member
    thnx for ringing in guys!!

Chubbois is offline Junior Member
    Hi there Danimal- I live in Melbourne, Aus. Are there Australian labs I can order this same test? If not- who did you use, and do you recommend them?

Quote Originally Posted by Danimal View Post
    Okay, I need some help analyzing my cholesterol results.. I asked my doc last week to get a VAP test, which he didn't know about. He freaked out at my results today and immediately wanted to get me on Lipitor. Any comments? I can't seem to distinguish what's Type A LDL in my results.. but it does say Real LDL Size Pattern A in my results. Not sure the differences between IDL-C, Real-LCL-C, etc..

Any input appreciated.

faredoon is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chubbois View Post
    Hi there Danimal- I live in Melbourne, Aus. Are there Australian labs I can order this same test? If not- who did you use, and do you recommend them?
    Would be great if VAP is available in Australia. I'm in Sydney. Please PM me if you know any diagnostic labs that do this in Australia!!
    Thanks in advance.