Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a primal "Flavor Sponge" page

stolid is offline Member

Looking for a primal "Flavor Sponge"

Shop Now
    Hi everyone, first post
    I'm young and in good health but have decided to go primal after doing the research and am slowly easing myself into the diet. I'm still probably eating way too many grains, but I have cut back significantly.

Anyway, I've looked through Mark's Daily Apple to try and find this and had no luck; but one of my favorite uses for bread that I've been unable to find a good substitute for is the role of 'flavor sponge'. For example, I make a vegetable-and-meat pot roast that is absolutely to die for, and one of the most delicious parts is the broth/soup that comes out of it. Before I went primal I'd use a roll of bread to soak it all up. I recently tried just drinking it and it doesn't have the same appeal.

Does anyone have a good suggestion for a replacement in this case?

Thanks!

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    pour it over raw on lightly steamed (as in nuked for 30s) spinach. Yes, I'm serious. It wilts the spinach and hides in all the little nooks and crannies. Works well as a rice and bread substitute in soups, curries and stews.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

Tawny is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by naiadknight View Post
    pour it over raw on lightly steamed (as in nuked for 30s) spinach. Yes, I'm serious. It wilts the spinach and hides in all the little nooks and crannies. Works well as a rice and bread substitute in soups, curries and stews.
    +1 on that - I now put a bed of spinach in my bowl under soup, shredded pork, chicken fajita, etc. before microwaving - so good. In fact, I just finished eating last night's roast beef (with all the juices) over top my spinach.

stolid is offline Member
    Dang, I unfortunately have a minor allergy to spinach so I generally avoid it I'll give it a shot and maybe this will finally force me to eat it enough to stop having a reaction -- but any other ideas?

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    use another green, like mustard greens or kale or something. SAme idea should apply.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

lizch is offline Senior Member
    I mourned the same thing when I started on primal, but replaced it with the glee of lifting up the plate, drinking the sauce, and then licking the plate clean. Which rather shocked me.
    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

bUMbLeB is offline Senior Member
    Welcome!

Last night I roasted small pumpkins while making hamburger; then stirfried sliced fennel & eggplant in the juices while steaming cauliflower & carrots. Put everything in a big stew pot with spices, mashed it up a bit and let it bubble for about 10min. Very similar to mashed potatoes with veggies, and absorbed all the flavour juice. Maybe that's an idea?

edit: sorry, I kept the meat out until my plate, just bumbled up all the veggies in the pot.
    Last edited by bUMbLeB; 11-12-2010 at 02:48 PM. Reason: clarity

stolid is offline Member
    bUMbLeB: That sounds delicious! I'll give it a shot!

Shrinking_Violet is offline Senior Member
    Gerrards Cross, Buckinghamshire, though originally from Sheffield
    Quote Originally Posted by lizch View Post
    I mourned the same thing when I started on primal, but replaced it with the glee of lifting up the plate, drinking the sauce, and then licking the plate clean. Which rather shocked me.
    I know that one. I also love the look on Dad's face when he caught me with the lamb leg bone in my mouth ripping off the remains of the meat!

Well - Grok wouldn't have carved it, would he...?!
    La tristesse durera toujours...

bUMbLeB is offline Senior Member
    It was! Easy, too. You already know how to make meat, but just to help with the rest a bit:

* pumpkins (or squash): halve & scoop, smear with olive oil, bake for 45min @375F.
    *fennel & eggplant: thin slice, stirfry low-med for ~15min (onions & mushrooms went in the meat, otherwise they'd go here).
    *cauli/carrots: steamed about 10-15min on low heat.
    *spices: turmeric, pepper, celery salt, oregano.

Once I combined them in the pot, I also added a small can of tomato paste, and it was pleasantly subtle & not too boyardee. I do similar combos pretty often, and the core take-away is that cauliflower & eggplant are total flavour absorbers - I'm sure you'll want to experiment! Also, good on you starting this when you're young & awesome, you're miles ahead of the game.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast