Thread: Tools of the Trade to become Primal page

JPA
    JPA is offline Senior Member

Tools of the Trade to become Primal

Primal Fuel
    I've sent the above text in the contact form until I found out there was a forum... duh...

Hi, I'm from Portugal and I bought hard copies of both Primal Blueprint and Primal Cookbook. I've also read a lot on MarksDailyApple about recipes and whatnot... and since I have a very modest kitchen and I used to just eat something quick, I end up not knowing how to cook or what to use.

So I'd like to know, which kitchen tools do I need to have to be able to cook most recipes I read here (and the cookbook)?

Another thing is, I get discouraged when I see a recipe that has several different ingredients (coconut derivatives, almond butter here, some crazy hard to get vegetable/spice there and so on)... I end up not knowing where to get all of these because over here in Portugal, we don't have a Trader Joe's or a Wholefood Market... you guys have it easy over there.

It's also difficult to get certified organic meat or Alaskan wild salmon, or beef jerky or this or that... all things I could safely order if I was in the US. So where could I order something here in European soil? Any Primal EU people in the community that are able to help (or anyone else for that matter)?

jspradley is offline Senior Member
    Organic grainfed meat is not going to be any better really than "regular"..... but even if you only eat grainfed meat that you cook you are still going to be 1000x better than a "standard" diet of mcdonalds and other crap.

I wouldn't worry so much about the organic/grassfed (although grassfed beef is AMAZING!) so much as just eating real food.

AndreaReina is offline Senior Member
    The most basic set of kitchen equipment (in my books) would be: 1 chef's knife (does most jobs), 1 serrated knife (great for cutting tomatoes and other things with a skin and delicate interior), wooden cutting board (wood is best, plastic and bamboo are ok, glass should never touch knives), a few pots and pans: saucepan, fry pan or skillet, saute pan. With those (plus a stove) I can cook almost anything. A lot of the recipes call for a food processor and/or blender, and a box grater makes grating cheese a lot easier too.

Check out http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?...-egci-courses/ for a very comprehensive list of tutorials on cooking and other kitchen skills, especially the "Knife Skills" and "Understanding Stovetop Cookware" posts.

NutMeg is offline Senior Member
    I would add a slow cooker to the above, and make the skillet a cast iron one. I would really like a cast iron griddle/grill pan for winter use.

There is a good chance your beef is already better than what we have here in the U.S.

As for beef jerky, make your own...it is super simple! All you need is the spices you like, an oven, and aluminum foil or a baking sheet with a cookie cooling rack.

TigerLily is offline Senior Member
    Just start with what you have. There's no need to spend a lot of money up front on this. A big part of the primal lifestyle is keeping things simple. Over time, you will dial in more closely both in terms of the quality of food you eat and the utensils you use to cook them. The main thing is just to start eating more vegetables, fruit, and meat and cut out the grains and sugar. That will be plenty enough for right now. Best wishes!
    "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

AmyMac703 is offline Senior Member
    I would definitely get a plastic cutting board for preparing meat; it's not very sanitary to be chopping uncooked chicken/pork/etc on a wooden cutting board. Wooden cutting boards are nice but if you are only getting one make it plastic so you can chop raw meat on it.
    Subduction leads to orogeny

My blog that I don't update as often as I should: http://primalclimber.blogspot.com/