Thread: CW at its finest...What I saw at my hospital leadership meeting page

MightyAl is offline Senior Member

CW at its finest...What I saw at my hospital leadership meeting

Primal Fuel
    I have to share the irony of the meeting I was at yesterday. I work for a large hospital system and the system has taken on the task of keeping health insurance costs down theough a voluntary wellness program. The program has worked well to keep people aware of their health and reverse any harmful issues. It is CW but it is doing more good then harm in this large population in my eyes. I think it is most successful in that the 3 years I have worked here my premiums have not gone up.

After that background I have to laugh at what I saw at this large meeting of hospital leaders (150+). The CEO is upfront discussing the success of the program at decreasing the number of Metabolic Indicators that individuals have and maintaining that success for 2 years. Mind you this is at 9am. In front of at least 1/3 of the people in this room I can see 16oz soda bottles. Beyond that the president of the system drinks Diet Mt Dew continuously. I don't think I have ever seen her without a can. I sit her today thinking that I should have taken a pic. Even worse is that 2 individuals sitting at the table next to me consumed at least 3 of these bottles in the 8 hours we were in this meeting. Unfortunately the wellness program promotes the drinking of a 1part OJ/ 7 parts water elixir continuously throughout the day to keep your insulin in check so you aren't hungry. I could go on and on about the conflicts in information.

spakesneaker is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MightyAl View Post
    \Unfortunately the wellness program promotes the drinking of a 1part OJ/ 7 parts water elixir continuously throughout the day to keep your insulin in check so you aren't hungry. I could go on and on about the conflicts in information.
    OH MY GOD!!! I'm speechless. That's so horrific that it should be criminal.

Annika is offline Senior Member
    The hospital where I work instituted a wellness program last month. It was optional, and we got $100 for following through with it. Part of it involved a lengthy lifestyle questionnaire. Answers were confidential, so I was honest. Now "my" goals are to work on increasing whole grains and reducing saturated fat. Ha! Thanks for the hundred bucks, though.
    My blog: Pretty Good Paleo
    On Twitter: @NEKLocalvore

Lojasmo is offline Senior Member
    We do the same thing at the Mayo. Total and utter bullshit. I stopped participating after my first questionnaire,

mayness is offline Senior Member
    Unfortunately the wellness program promotes the drinking of a 1part OJ/ 7 parts water elixir continuously throughout the day to keep your insulin in check so you aren't hungry.
    That's gotta be awful for your teeth, too... sugar and acid all day long... ugh.
    "mayness, you need to have a siggy line that says "Paleo Information Desk" or something!" -FMN <3

I'm blogging again, at least a little bit.

redtoycar is offline Member
    ...1part OJ/ 7 parts water elixir continuously...
    EEEEWWWW!!! Anyone drinking that sh*t all day would lose weight from the resulting nausea! That sounds horrible. Whose bright idea was that? (rhetorical)

I hate seeing so many nurses/physicians have bad habits. I used to be one. Continuous all-day coffee, soda, chocolate, greasy breakfast burritos, doughnuts, Starbucks drinks, lunch from the vending machine, not nearly enough sleep... And we're supposed to be helping others recover and maintain their health. What a joke. Taking a job in cardiac rehab really made me change my ways, as it felt hypocritical to not practice what I preach.